Mazdaspeed6 VS 05 Subbie Legacy 2.5GT Any input?

These are the 2 cars I’m currently looking at right now. I think this is the best place to ask the question since it’s not going to be biased as opposed to asking this same question on the relative forums for these 2 cars.

Important Facts.

Subbie = 3200lbs curb weight
MS6= 3600lbs

Subbie= 250hp/tq
MS6= 275/hp/tq

Price is in the same range.

Things that are looking good/bad to me so far are the following:

Subbie = 2600lb towing capacity (big bonus for GBtires)
MS6= rear folding seats
MS6= more spacious
MS6= more power out the box
Subbie= more aftermarket support
Subbie= easier to get more power with a few bolt ons
Subbie doesn’t really need 93 octane as opposed to the MS6
MS6 handles better, more luxerious interior
Subbie= more turbo lag

I have only been able to track an MS6 with modded footwork. Have yet to do so with a Legacy 2.5GT. MS6 handled like a dream.

Any comments/opinions/advice is welcomed!

Thanks!

It’s a really hard tossup between the two.

How far did you want to go with the mods? That’ll also make a difference. The Subie has very readily available hop up parts and has a really really robust suspension out of the box.

I liked the raod feel and feeback from the Subie better, but felt that the MS6 was far more refined and felt like it was on rails.

MS6 for refinement and wayyyy better esthetics, interior, smoothness, comfort and sound.

Scubie for robust, all around capable hadling and pwer and aforementioned towing capacity.

If it were me and I wanted a daily driver that was comfy, yet super nimble for it’s class, MS6 for me. (Even though I’ve been a Subaru fan since my RS in 99.)

I’m a legacy fan… (would take one over an STi)… So I’m biased towards it.
I think they’re a classy car and far more mature.

i’ve driven the ms6 and i must say i rlly rlly enjoyed that car.
but i have not driven the scooby…
and even still… id pick scooby. LOL

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/3091515235_2b79535537.jpg?v=0

instant JDM status^^

ciaran come on… mr zilvia wheel fitment… those wheels look too small for that car.

ive personally got to drive alot of the ms6 cars both customers and brand new. I got to say its a nice package. for aftermarket support and peformance i wouldnt touch it. Suspension work can be done on the car as well as the legacy but there has been alot of cases of problems when people try to tinker with the motor and turbo.

ms6 for looks & a better engine, subie for probably a better drivetrain.
subies have longitudinal symmetrical awd.
what kind of awd does the ms6 have? is it just a transverse front biased awd which transfers grip to the rear when the front slips, or is it similar to the mitsu evo awd.

regardless of that, its still the most baller wagon ive ever seen.

Samson, what are the price differences?

the MS6 is actually 4WD, so only kicks in when you need it.

I like the MS6’s interior by far, but everything else makes the subbie more superior.

The price range is very similar actually, the subbie has more available from what I see on the internet (autotrader etc), but it’s a bit cheaper, maybe by a few Gs.

I really don’t like Mazdas, unless they’re rotary powered, so I’ll have to go with Subie. I think it’s a better package overall, you get more out of it.

I have a legacy 2.5i so im very baised towards the GT very well balanced car and can look very nice with minimal mods.
can fit a 9.5" rim on all four wheels which is a plus
my car is almost impossible to get stuck in the snow
Also is the mazda 6 FWD till the awd kicks in or RWD till it kicks in? this will make a large difference
i love the BL legacy so im probably very biased
anyways
heres one with minimal mods
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124595

Subbie = 2600lb towing capacity (big bonus for GBtires)
MS6= rear folding seats ----------> so does the LGT
MS6= more spacious
MS6= more power out the box
Subbie= more aftermarket support
Subbie= easier to get more power with a few bolt ons
Subbie doesn’t really need 93 octane as opposed to the MS6
MS6 handles better, more luxerious interior ------> debatable if you get leather
Subbie= more turbo lag

If you want to ball out then get a spec B, aluminum control arms, larger sways, suede/black leather seats, its a very well built car. just research it and see.
The rear seat is very small for a midsize on the legacy though

Does anyone know the specs on gas mileage for the 2.5GT?

i do not know the exact specs but i do know they are within 2-3mpg difference of the 2.5i
BTW if your serious about looking into the GT
Legacygt.com is very helpful

not to sure of exact specs but if you drive accordingly it should be only 2-3mpg less then the 2.5i
theres alot of information on legacygt.com about specs problem areas ect ect.

last i heard they get around 23-25 mpg highway.

I’d trade my wrx wagon for a LGT wagon any day. More room, better styling and the 2.5 has ample room to grow.

One thing I don’t like about my wrx wagon is the gas mileage… It’s nothing to write home about, especially when you hit boost. (of course)

One thing Mazda does have is looks, interior and road feel. I always liked driving my dad’s mazda 3 when it was new… now it’s just, how do i put this, out dated…?