Minor Project: TJ's '02 Z06

i have that seat in my dsm, how do you like it? i love it

Yes. The new ones press in pretty easy, but the old ones are a biatch to push out. I used a chop-saw to cut off the metal flanges that would prevent them from pushing out then just used a 20-ton shop press. It went pretty easy compared to what I’ve heard other ppl going through. There’s a few tricks to the job I learned doing my car. This weekend I did the same job on a buddy’s Z06 and it only took us about 5 hours.

I don’t have the seat yet, I might order this week. The other Z06 I did bushings on this weekend has one though and I really like it. It’s obviously not going to be super comfortable for 8 hour drives, but it’s nice to actually stay put. The problem is I can’t use the slider/bracket that come with it because my helmet will touch the roof. I need to build a custom side-mount for it really.

-TJ

Alignment done:

-2.6 degrees Front Camber
Max Front Caster for Camber Setting (7.2 degrees)
0 Front Toe
-1.6 degrees Rear Camber
1/4" Rear Toe-In

Also, a little cross-caster for road crown and such.

-TJ

Ready for the weekend…

…excuse the crappy cam-phone pic:

http://www.norcal-ls1.com/multimedia/data/500/296ready.jpg
FX1-Pro is in too, though you can’t really tell from this pic.

-TJ

nice trailer :kekegay:

Sweet!

Just a question, why will your helmet hit the roof with the new seat? Are you exceptionally tall or is it just the way the seat is set up for a low roofline 'vette, etc…?

It’s just a harbor frieght trailer w/ a diamond plate deck added and a locking/weather-proof tool box added. It’s simple, cheap, light and it works. Oh, and I’d still smoke your bucket if I was pulling it with a full load of tires 'n tools. So who’s :greddy: now? :wink:

But seriously, I got tired of counting on other ppl to get my wheels/tires to the track. Alan Blain (sp?) used to get 4 x 315/35-17s with 17x11 wheels into his Fixed-Roof Coupe to head to the track. But he didn’t have a roll hoop like I do and he didn’t give half a shit about his interior (what was even there). They all had to come in through the passenger door (the trunk opening isn’t big 'nough to get even on in that way). I think he used to ditch the passenger seat too, or maybe just unbolt it and move it outta the way a bit. With the 315/30-18 and 335/30-18 on 18x11 & 18x12 it’d be even worse… and hell I won’t even put one in the passenger seat, fuck stuffing 4 into my interior! I’m lucky I have lots of friends that race the same series I do and either have Fbodies that run on street tires that can take my shit or truck/trailer. But like I said, I got tired of having to think “hmm, can I do that track day? I wonder if anybody is going that can take my wheels/tires/tools???”

In the end hitchin’ up the trailer, loadin’ it up and strappin’ down the tires is a lot quicker/easier than it used to be to get all my stuff into my Camaro. With the Camaro I could get a jack, jackstands, 4 x 315/35-17s on 17x11s, a full tool-kit, blocks of wood (to pull onto to jack the car), etc. + clothes 'n junk for me + girl for the weekend all INSIDE the Camaro. It all fit pretty damn easy… but it was a PITA bagging all the tires, putting old blankets everywhere, lifting everything in and playing Tetris to get it to fit etc. With the trailer I leave most the tools I need for a weekend in it, along w/ my tire pressure gauge, tire pump, water sprayer for the tires, wood, and all that misc. bullshit I mentioned so that really makes things easier. It takes all of 5 minutes to load/strap the tires and about 2 to hitch it up.

I’m 6’ even. With the combo of the Corbeau seat/slider/bracket the seating surface ends up being A LOT higher than the stock seating surface. It’s close for me… w/o the helmet it’s fine but I feel like I’m looking through the top of the windshield, with a helmet on it just brushes the headliner. It’d be alright… but I’m not happy enough to run it like that. Right now the seat is just hard-mounted with the Corbeau bracket and no slider. It works out that it’s almost perfect for me. It’s a bit on the close-side but that’s good for racing. I might put some washers under the front to recline it a bit… that should make it peeeerfect. Just no co-drivers that aren’t the same height. :wink:

-TJ

congrats & goodluck this weekend!

:embarassd

im 6’2" i should be close. :bigok: sick car… my buddy trailers his shit with his stang awesome when you see that shit.

Thanks Boss! You gotta try this turny-turn stuff one day. :wink:

Geah… j00 bettah runz!!!1one!!

My buddy that also has a '02 Z06 w/ the FX1-Pro (the car I mentioned earlier in this thread) is about 6’2". He loves the seat hard-mounted like this too. It seems a bit on the close side of things for me though… but he’s happy with it.

Man, you think I get funny looks w/ this trailer on the freeway… a few months ago I borrowed my buddy’s trailer to go to Infineon. It is built off the same platform that mine is but it has a small enclosed plywood box built onto it instead. People looked at me crazy as all hell as I came by them on the freeway. At least with my trailer ppl see the race tires and usually “get it.” With his trailer they just think I started a Z06 Towing & Hauling buisness.

-TJ

Tire trailers on performance cars FTW! Seriously its so common around here it doesn’t even phase me. Several STi’s, F-bodys, Vettes, couple miatas, various BMW’s, and a few others I’m missing all have tire trailers. You probably know by now we have the same seats. Only bitch I had with mine was when I drove out to the Peru tour last year. I took the seat pad off the passenger seat and doubled up the drivers side. Still didn’t help alot, so this year I’m taking a pillow. That and mine is mounted to the stock sliders and just a hair to far away for me. Sucks when I’m mid turn and my chicken arms need to get up on the wheel since I don’t have power steering. I might build adapters this year to move mine forward a bit. If you get a chance post a pic of the seats in the car I’d like to see how they look!

Pic on the new AutoX wheel/tire setup ready to rock:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a100/Shortee3/P1012896.jpg

I think I landed 3rd TTOD to another C5 Z06 and a full-prepped C4.

-TJ

those wheels look badass

[QUOTE=Pewter;542036][/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. They’re CCW Classics in 18x11 front and 18x12 rear. I still have the 19" CCW 505As for the street and the stock wheels for road course.

-TJ

Update time, notes below:

And now for this year’s purchases and plans:- Semi-Dry Sump - Ordering my Aviaid system today.

• LG “G-Stop” Brake Kit - Purchased and sitting in the garage.
    http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=342_233_302&products_id=1514- Doug Rippie Motorsports Brake Ducts with LG Spindle Mounts - Purchased and sitting in the garage.- DRM Trans & Diff Coolers - Sent funds today.- DRM Solid Steering Rack Bushings - Need to order.- LG Billet AL Driveshaft Coupler - Need to order.- Textralia Exo-Skell Clutch - Need to order.

-TJ

Latest updates:- Semi-Dry Sump is all ordered and paid for, just waiting for the SOB to ship the thing. It’s a small operation and all made to order (for little details like double roller timing setup or not) and they also test-fit everything on a C5 at their shop. It’s supposed to ship tomorrow, we’ll see.- G-Stop Setup is on, pics to come.- LG Spindle Mounts are on, mocking up DRM ducts.- DRM Trans & Diff Coolers almost complete (pics below)- Forgot to order my DRM Solid Steering Rack Bushings, d’oh! At least the Dry Sump is taking forever and that’s the time to do 'em (since you have to move the rack to get to the crank bolt to pull the pulley to pull the front cover to pull the pan to pull your pud.- LG Billet AL Driveshaft Coupler installed in place of front coupler, brand new BMW OEM coupler installed in rear (the stock ones that came out said “made in Germany” on them so I suspect they all come from the same place, but the BMW ones are “supposed” to be better quality, not sure I buy that story :wackit: ).- Ended up putting in a LS7 Clutch for simplicity and driveability. Also put in a new slave/throwout when I was in there and remote bleeder line.

DRM Trans/Diff Cooler Pics:

Passenger side, pump is obvious but note the actual cooler mounted behind what was the brake cooling duct.

Driver side, same story.

Note fitting we rigged up to retain trans temp sensor.

VBP poly diff mount also viewable, and everything is a mess under the car because I had a badly leaking driver’s side output shaft seal (very common). Just replaced that before starting on the coolers. Once I get the Dry Sump in so I know I won’t be dumping oil up front anymore I’m taking it somewhere to have the under-side steam cleaned.

-TJ

:cool:

come a long ways
starting in my brother’s vette this weekend so should be fun