Most cost effective setup for 65' stang?

:rofl::rofl: @ Shaggy/ Quik

I wasnt aware the fox body stangs were that light. I read that the GT versions were heavier because of all the extra crap they put on them (spoilers etc) The later cars are listed with a curb weight of 3350-3400lb curb weight. a skylark which is same dimensions as a chevelle or GTO or 442 is by no means a boat anchor. wait till Shaggy gets his ass handed to him by a 10 second riviera or a bone stock looking and sounding skylark that runs 11ā€™s. heā€™ll be singing a different song.:stick:

SSdragon
that would be a nice street combination in a lightweight car like your mustang. with the correct gearing and a good tune it should be lots of fun.

who really cares?

there are alot of sleeper cars that will hand thier asses to each other. end thread

my 90 LX was nowhere near 2900lbsā€¦it was within 150 lbs (around 3400lbs) of my 70 Stage I 4 speed car (490hp/650ft lbs of boat anchor torque). The 90 LX was good for around 330rwhp and ran greatā€¦but not to level of my boat anchors when they are in a similar state of tune. These Buicks are one of the lighter musclecars around and a very light A body in general (the 455 engine is within 20-30lbs of a small block Chevy)

As far as Iā€™m concerned, I welcome guys to keep thinking like the earlier posterā€¦those are the guys that canā€™t believe they just got spanked by a boat anchor

Back to the original thread question and forgive me if somebody already suggested itā€¦the newer generation 302/5.0L offerings from Ford (87-91) are probably the some of the best running engines in terms of overall performance Ford has available. they respond well to modifications, they easily surpass a 1hp per cubic inch output and will run 25mpg+ due to the effiency of the fuel injection. My 90 was nearly 28mpg once the engine and exhaust was freed upā€¦something very few 350hp+ engines can lay claim to (Chevrolet Corvettes are a great example of fuel injection providing both performance and mileage).

If you can afford it, I would look at newer technology and really build a neat retro rod. Another point to consider if you do soā€¦the 87-88 engines form Ford were speed density systems in stead of mass air systems. Both have benefits, but in the hot rod circles back then the speed density engines were the hot ticket for making max hp.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Exterior.aspx?year=1990&make=Ford&model=Mustang&trimid=-1
the weight is all over the place and only the vert gt with the v8 comes close to 3400

and are you talking about a buick gs stage 1? thatā€™s 2 tons of land barge, not 3400, unless you stripped the car down.

4 speed non a/c hardtop with none of the other fluff crap is nowhere close to 4000lbs and it was as it came from Flint, but whatever gets you through the nightā€¦

3102 dry weight of my LXā€¦add oils, gas and anitfreeze (unless you plan on driving w/out those items) and that car is right where I statedā€¦3400lbs and yes 150 lbs lighter than the 70 Stage I. Actual claimed dry weight on the title is 3550lbs from Buick vs claimed dry weight of the LX 3102ā€¦448 lbs difference.

Again, back to the original postā€¦some of the finer resto rod Mustangs built have gone the route of a speed density engine, complete with new technology A/C, electronics and interior touches for years now and it is a pretty easy car to build. Here is a link to a Mustang Monthly article that discusses many of the different approaches to building that Mustang of yours: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehistoryof/mump_0504_rebuilt_vintage_ford_mustang_best_build/index.html

I stand corrected.

I did a quick google search and see they are around 3500 lbs, my bad.

no harm, no foul 77 rednecktruckā€¦it is a very common mistake that us Buick owners are used to, well that and people asking ā€œwhat year is your Olds 442?ā€ :bigthumb:

yep

90 stang shipping weight is 3065 for the hatch 3213 for the conv

72 lark shipping weight is 3436 shipping weight
love the ā€œstandard catolog of american carsā€ book

doesnt the fuel inection system depend of if the car was equiped with an aod pt a t-5
cpe and cpi?

yepā€¦install the electronics according to application. There were plenty of salvage late model Mustangs that can be donors for the electronics and driveline

One of the cooler retro Stangs running around here in KC has a complete late model 91 driveline (engine/trans) with electronics, suspension and interior. His dash has been brought up to new technology with led and aftermarket guages to fit the old bezels. It is in a fastback car done up like a Shelby GT350ā€¦beautiful car and runs great with all of the modern touches.

Do not ever compare me with your neighbor, You compare me again?!

In fact George is not my brother. Be silent as you were for monthsā€¦

or would like to see that white mack truck head on that the months i been seeing you on the rox bridge mornings ???

You Buick owners never showed me what a 455 can do in 2004 so fuck off also.
the tiny 302 bolt on efi foxbody 92 mustang lx 5 speed always owned your ass so go fuck your boat anchor and I will see a washed up shored buick motor back of my place on the Ohio River OR that a dumbass motorboat newbie brokedown and i had to fish the pieces. you owe me a 8lb line and hook for that snag.

I will discount the (2008) $2.99 night crawlers that i purshed a year ago in 2007 that i used for 2007 dirt and still living.

quite possibly the biggest tool I have ever seen on the netā€™ā€¦your new name should be cresent wrenchā€¦now go pop some pimples off of your pimply ass unless you actually own a car that can show up and cash the checks your prodigious mouth is putting out there
:bsflag:

Shaggy > your life

kthanksbye

fuck this thread