My shop/barn build thread

Hmm, well Ill have to ask next time.

I used our account at work, which seemed to help a little.

I bought 500’ of #1 alum and 150’ of #6 copper, it was $315 w/ tax.

Any chance you can do better than lowes or HD on 12-2 romex?

Dan

Two weekends ago I finally got real power ran. It was much easier than expected (I had thoughts of it getting stuck while pulling etc), but with help from a friend and my wife and daughter it went super smooth.

Last week I managed to start wiring some outlets and switches etc. Currently I just have two outlets working, but its coming along. (yes I need to sleeve the ground wire green, I just keep forgetting)

This weekend I framed up the little “rooms” in the rear of the barn, which the ceiling of will serve as a storage area. The first section in the corner will be for the floor heat system as well as the compressor. The second is for the parts washer, sink and fridge, the third is still “for rent” and the last little section under the stairs will be for the engine hoist, stand, jackstands, etc. Also started on some framing to partially close in the stairwell between the two posts shown in the second pic.

Dan

Been getting a ton of framing done the last few days.

Finished up the purlins, window blocking and outlet box mounts on the southern wall.

Half wall going up the stairs

Wall at the top of the stairs

Im hoping to have the rest of the purlins up by the end of the weekend, then time to crank on the electrical.

Dan

Gorgeous

I click on this thread for inspiration to build my own some day. :tup: I was at a friends place the other day, he is building a 36,000 sq/ft barn. You could auto-x in this thing. Lol

UH WTF no Pix!

Try again. Maybe they were doing some maint at 3:45 am?

Dan

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Thanks! and

Holy hell, thats some “barn”.

Dan

What size posts did you use? 6x6?

Ya, they are a laminated 6x6, PT at bottom.

Dan

Same Material $252.80 with Tax. I am at the exact level as Lowes and Depot on Romex. No one makes any money on Romex. For reference $295.85/M or $73.95 for a 250’ coil.

If you need any help wiring it up give me a shout, I am happy to lend a hand.

Cool. Ya, I sorta figured that and ended up just starting with a 250’ roll (since there is no price break). Im probably 1/2 through it and only like 1/10 wired. Big building is hungry.

Dan

No updates for a while here. I have about 1/3 of the wiring done, which isnt very exciting to look at.

Today they brought in gravel to make the parking area along the north side of the barn for my camper and landscape trailer. So I now have another 1300+sqft of driveway or so. Hoping this weekend to get some topsoil delivered so I can taper most of it into the lawn and get some seed going.

Dan

:tup: looks awesome man

Im curious to see how much for just the building with nothing done interior wise, you dont have to tell me the exact just give me a within $5k range guess-timation. PM ME! always wonder with these pole barn costed.

I would live in a barn/build like that no problem forget the house. haha

Like JUST the shell, no floor or anything?

Dan

ill pm you

I am in love

Finally got part of the driveway back filled last week. Took almost 4 yards of dirt to do that one little area. Im going to need a LOT more to do the north side.

Ive also been working a TON on the wiring. I think in another week or so Ill be basically “done”, other than wiring in the final lights (which I cant do until the ceiling is in), etc. I dont really have many pics yet. Ill snap some when its finished.

Lights in the rear “rooms”:

I also added a separate 100A subpanel box in the opposite rear corner. Its saving me a ton of wire and work as the compressor, welders, hot water heater, lift, and half of the upstairs outlets are closer to this point than to the main panel. Also if we ever get a generator I can put it behind the barn and have a full 100A run all the way back to the house.

Dan

This is so rad!! I’m super jealous

Man, this is top notch…