My shop/barn build thread

Thanks guys.

Borrowed the neighbors Kubota yesterday and cleaned up the stones at the back of the building. When they put the parking area down the side it went a couple feet farther than I wanted (as shown by the larger dirt patch). I also had a pile of other gravel left over (from what I used down the south side) so I spread that out along the back as well. It only goes half way as I will eventually be putting up a “shed” back there to replace my current pos shed. Anyway, this stone area will be home to a 200 gallon rain “barrel” that Im working on as well as the propane tank for the heater and probably rusty car parts. Yes, I realize the gutter is going up hill, this is only temp until I can get the rain barrel going

I also started installing the upstairs lighting. I scored 14 these for $10 each with bulbs, plus he gave me a box of probably 15-20 spare bulbs. They are all 2-bulb T8 fixtures that were apparently removed from a local high school (some still had spit balls on them, lol). Charlotte HS for anyone local reading this.

I have 12 of them mounted and two wired up. These two turn on from the bottom of the stairs so that I can find my way to the storage area at night without having to turn on 12 lights. The other 10 will turn on via two switches at the top of the stairs.

Dan

good idea…

Thanks, of course Ive already forgotten to turn it on a few times before going up there. Hopefully it will become habit… lol

Yesterday after work I cranked out more wiring.

• Installed 7 more outlets in the “fabrication area”.
  • installed a second outside motion light
  • finished wiring up the upstairs lights, and boy are they niiiice. I cant imagine how bright it will be once there are nice bright white walls up there. These pics were taken at 1:30 am so it was def dark outside.

I just need to run two lines for ceiling fans, and add outlets for the TIG welder and compressor and I THINK Ill be done.

Dan

Looks great!

:tup: good stuff!

Subscribed.

Replace the switch for the two lights with a motion sensor so that you don’t have to remember to turn them on.

I’ve got to build something like this one day…

Then you go upstairs only needing the light those two provide and the lights switch off and you are trapped in the dark. lol

I suppose I could put a motion sensor upstairs, but w/e. It will eventually become habit. Plus I could use the exercise, I think its 21 steps…

Dan

Just passed electrical inspection. woot.

Inspector asked “did you do this yourself? because it looks really nice” :slight_smile:

Dan

Ran the vac duct for the table saw under the floor last night (still need to move the saw back over it). Was “fun” doing it by myself. Now I just need to come up with a funnel for inside the saw. I THINK Im going to use a transmission drain funnel, trimmed to fit.

Then I decided to finally try to get the rain barrel going, ya know, before all the rain stops. The wife’s dad scored this 275 gallon container from Ithaca college when they replaced them a few years back (chlorine storage for the pools / fountain). Unfortunately they were originally installed before the building was finished and had to be cut in half to be removed. So here is my attempt to put it back together.

Two pieces

Had a friend of mine bend up these two pieces of 1/8" aluminum to use as a giant band clamp. can also see where I cleaned up the plastic near the joint

Inside, lined up and ready to be sealed.

And together with the lid on. I still need to seal it and add a few bolts to keep the band in place, but I think it should work out pretty good.

Dan

If that does not work out. Can always get one from here! http://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/3786290746.html

Holy shit that’s cheap!

Well its been a long time since Ive made any progress on the shop. The end of summer was busy with vacation, putting up a pool, doing some landscaping, building a fence etc. Finally getting back to it.

Decided it would be nice to actually use the upstairs storage area so I put up some osb monday night. Im not doing the ceiling since its just a cold storage area. Hoping to prime it up sunday.

I also bought some parts to get the dust collection system going as the table saw has been getting some use and is creating a huge mess.

Going to start insulating and sheeting the south wall of the wood shop this weekend.

Dan

Dumb question. What do you use to make all your plywood cuts? Table saw or handheld circular? Looks like robot precision.

Luke

Just a circular saw. For most of the cuts I clamped a straight edge I have to the wood to use as a guide. It makes for some really straight cuts (obviously).

The long ones on the top edge of the walls I just cut free hand (b/c I didnt want to go downstairs to get the 8’ level to use as a straightedge).

Dan

Thanks. Looks killer! :tup:

Had the whole weekend to myself so naturally (for me anyway) that means two days of continuous work.

Decided to continue the sheeting from the storage area into the wood shop area.

I got the long south and short east walls insulated, sheeted those as well as the half wall by the stairs, and put two coats of oil based Kilz on (about 4 gals worth).

Next I need to caulk some of the joints, paint the walls and get some trim up. Then move everything over to this wall and get that north wall finished up.

Dan

No shortage of outlets in there, wow.