Need help: Installing cd player ( DSM GUYS chime in)

Im trying to put a cd player in my 97 tsi. I bought the harnesses brand new from circuit city, and was told in dsm’s you need to ground the wire, thus the reason there is a black ground wire on the harness lol.

I plugged all the harnesses in and checked all the fuses and ground it on the screws that mount the panel pieces in,no power to the cd player.
i tried this again mounting the ground on the metal tray that the cd player sits in, still no power to the cd player, but to everything else in the car has power.

Any ideas on what the problem could be??, its terrible only having a turbo spool to listen to :wink:

make sure you find a good ground with no paint and im guessing you dont have a multimeter so ill try to find the wires at work for ya

thanks if anyone is willing to shoot over and help me out with this id gladly throw some cash to them

was there a factory headunit installed previously that worked? if so, they i would think either bad ground or faulty headunit. if not, then perhaps your wiring harness in the car isnt supplying power.

no factory one was in the car , i kno the head unit i bought works fine , ive even tested two. the harnesses were bought brand new from circuit city.

when you say no power, are you not getting constant power, or switched power? or both?

no power what so ever is getting to the cd player, everything else in the car has power, the cd player is just dead, no lights or anything

did u test it with a multimeter? test the red and yellow wires with a multimeter, sounds to me like a bad ground man.

yea i might have to get one, it prob is a bad ground and im a fuckin retard and dont know how to do it the right way but ive tried a few times and nothing but idk

well, you cant just ground it to plastic

whatever your ground it to, kinda has to have some piece of metal going to the frame of the car.

lol i well i know i cant ground it to plastic tom im not that stupid.Ive tried a few metal places in there and im still getting nothing.

are you saying no power whatsoever because the cd player is not lighting up? or did you actually test it? it can be getting power to one of those 2 wires and still not turn on… it needs both

its not lighting up at all or making a sound, the antenna doesnt move up or down when its plugged in.It seems like its getting no power at all but i could be wrong. Stupid dsm’s why cant it be a honda and just plug harness into harness like most other cars and be done with it lol

it can have one of the powers and not do anything tho… you need to figure that out for sure, not just guess

sucks to be retarded

i never said i was smart with this shit, hence the reason i posted a thread asking for help on this.I simply cant figure it out and am willing to throw someone some cash to help me get it working.

problem solved thanks to Mr burch :tup: thanks for showing me how to get that working , along with diagnosing my car

That’s what I do homey… No problem.

what was it?

the head unit needed to be powered on by a little source button, gary has the same head unit and knew what to do in like 2 seconds lol.