Need some help

Another one bites the dust.

oh boy where do i start… skateshelter, oil puff of smoke at startup is VERY common once you crack a ringland on the stock pistons. MOST LIKELY cyl #4. compression/leakdown test asap. been there, done that man. 95% sure its not the turbo, HOWEVER that doesnt mean its impossible. im going to go ahead and say brett’s E-diag was spot on.

subaru’s ej257 motor truly is a pile of shit with the stock pistons. good luck on getting her fixed (oh and fyi a new sti shortblock is GENERALLY around $2,800 +tax. go talk to fred at capitalland subaru and see if he can swing you a deal if this is infact the case.

the deadbolt superzilla turbos are known for decent reliability, but oil starvation can be a bitch… (ask me how i know)… also something to look into. the turbo receives its oil flow from a port in the pass side head. its threaded in to a banjo bolt. remove that banjo bolt and make sure the little screen in the bolt has been removed. it is common knowledge that this screen gets clogged from sludge/debris in the oil causing oil pressure/volume starvation to the turbo. Forced Performance actually sends out an instruction sheet with every turbo to remove this screen as their turbo’s require some astronomical number for oil pressure(something like 95psi) and with it in place the turbo does not receive enough pressure or volume and causes the chra to starve resulting in premature failure (happened to my fp after only 3 days, of course there was other contributing factors there)

good luck man… and like i said… leakdown/comression test asap… and im betting cyl #4 is the culprit

sounds an awefull lot like what Cossey’s LGT was doing Sat. He thinks its only a PCV issue with his. PM him maybe and see what he found out on his ride and maybe you two could help eachother troubleshoot or something.

GL with it.

:rofl

at startup there is a light puff of blue smoke

:banghead:Idiots:retardclap:ponder

i was just telling you that it does smoke

Well first off i want to make sure what the problem is befor i buy anything so if its not turbo then it could be what your saying autooutcast. Im gonna try to figuer out more today.Thanks guys.

Yea it does but i feel like everyone’s car smokes hahah. But i think mine is running very rich.

do you have a wideband? if so what is it reading under full boost and what is it when just cruising? motor making any funny noises? screaching? feel down on power at all? more insight and i can help more.

Ok it all started like this my car over heated at idle at a light. after i took off the temp gauge went down. So then i did a coolant flush and put new coolant in it and it went away. after about a week i kinda felt like the car wasnt getting fuel when i slowly gave it gas. I could feel the injectors not pumping but when i gave more they worked fine. After aboutacouple daysi stated the car one moring and some blue smoke came from under the hood and exhaust. After runing for a bit it went away and thats where im at now. kinda hard to tell what happend over the computer if someone wants to come take a look at the car they can.

oh… dude, that sounds pretty simple. headgaskets. down on power… need to give it more fuel etc… get new headgaskets and have the heads and block checked/decked.

EDIT: just remember this is an E-diag but from the overheating bit and seems sluggish to take off it sounds like a headgasket failure… its easiest to change them with motor out of the car too… so set aside some pennies or find someone knowledgeable to do it/help

Do a compression and/or leakdown test…

So u think its a head gasket? that woulds cause it to run like poop and oil to come out of all the intercooler pipeing and biuld up?

compression test could be misleading if it is a headgasket failure as well. if the gasket is not sealing a cylinder properly you could be bleeding off “compression” and get a false reading on an otherwise stout motor.

oil in intercooler/piping is VERY common in these cars even on a proper running motor. even after my built motor i still had significant oil residue in my intercooler everytime i took it off. but yes it WILL make it run like ass and cause the puff of smoke you are noticing.

Is there anything else i should do befor i say itsa headgasket. some people told me to put new plugs in it clean injecotrs run it with a catch can.

if i were you before jumping to any conclusion id get ahold of boxersix on here and try to have him look it over. as far as the other stuff, new plugs and a catchcan are definitely good ideas albeit not a necessity. run a couple bottles of lucas injector cleaner through it (i found it seemed to work the best in my STi over the other brands) and fill up with some decent gas (from mobil or hess…not from ishbu mart). like i said it SOUNDS to me like headgaskets… but dont go repairing/replacing anything without having it looked over first… and although adam (boxersix) and i have had our differences i cant deny his knowledge of these motors not only exceeds mine but EVERYONE ELSE on this forum. good luck… oh and BTW… new plugs in that thing are a true CUNT. its almost easier to pull the motor to do plugs than doing them in the car… such a horrible friggin design.

whats it called? i saw one closer to exit 9, but they seem to do gas turbines.

i have heard that name before. are they good?

can u check for that urself? like do u pull it out and push on the fan and see if it moves around or does a machine do this?

this sounds like a good idea. pay the labor rate and just get Adam to check it and he’ll tell you for sure.

where is it??