New here, B5 A4

New from Latham, NY. Name is Emery Miller.

Currently I drive a B5 A4. Here’s what I’ve done so far (and a description)
1999.5 B5 A4 Quattro
Automatic Transmission w/ Tiptronic
1.8T motor with 145,000
Forge 007 diverter valve
Upper tower strut bar
Neuspeed Lowering springs (1.25" drop all around)
RS4 style grille
RS4 Rep 17" Rims (summer)
A4 15" Rims (winter)
Blacked tail lights/symbols
6k HID H7 conversion kits (headlight/foglight)

Just replaced:
Turbo and exhaust manifold
Upper control arms (Front)
Passenger lower control arms (Front)
Power steering rack (and both tie rods)
Both rear wheel bearings
Brakes all around (pads/rotors)

I’m working on an S4 black interior swap (need headliner and rear pillars). Also looking to wrap my roof black ASAP. I also bought tint but I’m waiting for it to warm up for everything. I work on it at a buddys garage on weekends, really saves a lot of money. Anyway I love the car, and if I can afford it I will always buy Audi:number1

More Audi Buddiez! Welcome. Pics PLZ

Welcome!

Instead of wrapping have you considered plastidip?

http://shift518.com/showthread.php?t=27818

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x239/slikjoseph/ITUpperside1.jpg

Oh and we need pics! :ahh

Welcome man fellow VAG buddy! Any pics of the car sofar? My shop just put a B6 on air and I know alot about the 1.8t stuff so if you have any questions or issues with that motor or the suspension, or anything on that car really let me know I bet we could help.

Here it is with the winter wheels on it!

As for the roof. Vinyl will cost ya about $150+ to have someone do it right. And they wont address dings or dents which will still show through the vinyl.

For slightly more that vinyl my shop can paint it for you, and do it the right way. Fix any dings or dents and paint it. Pick a black; BMW Cosmos black I just shot a few weeks back, the BMP vw/audi color is sick, for blacks there are lots to choose from.

Actually, if you want to make this happen asap, I have a Scion TC I need to paint a hood, bumper, fender and such for in the next week or two. Its straight black. If you like that color, I wont charge you for the basecoat since I already have the paint. PM me if your interested.

That’s a B6 Mike. B5 looks like AMD or 6spd S4’s cars.

fixed. :facepalm

I cant follow all those stupid build models… MK6, B7, EG, EK, E46… I will go hide under my rock now. see ya.

From one new guy to another welcome to the site.

Welcome!

welcome fellow audi owner.

Welcome!

First pic is before I lowered car, the one thats attached but not showing is it after I lowered it. Others are just a few I randomly have. Going to take some more soon. Deff considering that plasti dip for my roof/RS4 rims. My buddy has a 2001.5 S4 I wish I could afford and works at a shop. I’m hoping I can get a deal on my roof/rims but if nothing, I’ll prob spray them with that plasti dip.

Any idea what a roof/rims would take to spray (# of cans?)

Btw anyone know if the gloss clear coat is available locally too? I’d rather have the gloss look, matte has always been so boring XD

Oh and lets say I tape off my windshield and everything to do my roof, is the rest of the paint going to peel back when I finish or am I going to have to remove/reapply tape for each coat?

welcome sir

Car needs to be lower! Lookin 4x4 status atm

Welcome!

Nice car. I love Audi’s.

I’m not big on slammed cars. Hate having to drive careful so I dont fuck it up. Plus my one buddy is a big guy, id be scraping the ground any time I drop the dude XD

FYI, I could paint that roof for around $250 since I have the black on hand and need to use it up (shelf life, its a waste if it sits around too long), so if that plastidip stuff is anything more than $100 in materials, if your time worth more than $150 and the “do it once do it right” thing matters its not really worth it. And for wheels, we powdercoat for around $85 a wheel.

as for whats needed to do something right:

Prep is everything. Get a gal of “surface cleaner, paint prep” for $20 from NAPA or an autobody store. Spritz it on, and wipe it off with a clean paper towel. that removes dirt, sap, grime, and more importantly the WAX and polishing compound thats usually embedded in the paint. All of those thing, the wax in particular, will repel paint or that plasti dip stuff and make it “lift” or fisheye when you spray it on.

Get a roll of good autobody masking tape, the green stuff. Mask off your sun roof if you have it, trim in the drip rails/channels perfectly. Then get a roll of masking paper for $20, cut it up as needed and lay it over the green tape half way, then tape over the paper, sticking it to the masking take you already laid down as for the paint edge. this can be laid on quick and set in 1/8th or 1/4" from the “clean edge” where the masking is going to protect what ever its applied to from overspray. I have rolls of car cover plastic, that staticly clings to the car and wide enough that one pass, front to back covers the entire car to the ground, and cost all of about $4 in material to do so. Way better than 10+ passes of 28" wide paper tapped together!

Overspray goes all over the place, even in stagnant air. entire car should be covered, granted that plasti dip apparently just rubs off, its still a ton of un-necessary work removing overspray.

As for painting that stuff on, I have no idea and I never used it. BUT I can imagine, the narrow spray pattern that comes from a spray can (about 3-4" wide max) makes for a shit load of passes to cover, assuming atleast a 30-50% overlap with each pass. which opens the door to uneven coats. Proper spray guns we use have a everything from a 6" to my primer gun shooting a 15" fan! Allowing for even coverage and wet out.

Lastly this is something you cant do outside, especially in the winter! so a heated garage, and what ever cure time is a must i would assume with that stuff.

Yeah, i am a salesman for my business, for sure. But my honest opinion, rattle canning anything autobody never comes out like it would from proper tools, technique and skill from an autobody shop. Sure that stuff isn’t permanent, which I guess is cool… but paint can be repainted too. So taking the easy way out isn’t necessarily the best way to do it.

Lower it.

LOL.

You would…

As for proper prep and paint, and doing it in the right environment, if I do do it anywhere my buddys autobody shop will probably be where it happens this weekend. I don’t have the 250$ to blow or I’d just get it done right (painted) but at the same time I enjoy the thought of being able to rip it right off.

I was going to do a vinyl wrap but improper application and I’m out 125$. This way I’ll probably spend 60 on paint total and whatever my buddys autobody shop pays for a roll or 2 of tape.

At the same time my materials cost might go over 100, just because I want to do my rims too, but not right away. I ordered 4 cans of clear and I’ve seen videos online of people doing their roof with only 1 can (Definitely going to use more than that)

Give it hell! Post GOOD pics of it when its done. i am very interested to see how if comes out. The pics I see on their website dont impress me at all.

Maybe I am wrong about it all, who knows. I can admit i am wrong.

While I agree, I haven’t seen it done gloss, only matte. Matte in general is ugly to me, and my buddy has the experience to make it work (6-10 years). So glad I’m not doing it alone.