Plasti-Dip entire car?

Hello sonners… I recently discovered a product called plasti-dip and have fallen in love with it.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom#p/a/u/0/rNY9Dx617N8[/video]

Does anyone have any experience with it? It looks to be the ultimate cost effective track car paint. Goes on with minimal prep, no worry about overspray, VERY cheap compared to vinyl or paint, change your cars colour every year if want… discuss.

gonna need like 2 cans per panel, around 20 cans for whole car. make you sure put it on thick enough or taking it off will be a bitch. and make sure ur surface is super fucking clean, like claybar that shit first or something. i was thinking about doing it, but decided to go even cheaper/more ghetto and gonna do a $50 roll-on paintjob instead since i do gotta do a bit of body work anyways.
good luck and let us know how it goes

seems heavy, ugly, more expensive then spray bombs, hard to remove, pointless, impossible to cover and difficult to clean

looks cool but i would be afraid of touching the car after, if it peels that easy off the lights it might do the same with the car too. Im pretty sure weight isnt a concern, its not a track car, but i have to agree its a bad demo colour he should have showcased it with a gloss finish, and what happens to the car when its super hot outside!!! but yea let us know if you go with it!

They sell it in gallons, any colour you want, so much cheaper and more evenly applied compared to spray cans.
They havnt seemed to master a gloss finish, so the car would have to be aggressive enough to pull off a matte/semi gloss finish.
From what ive read, it lasts for atleast a year, is easily washable, will not peel by itself even with use of a pressure washer, and is ok in heat/sun.
What im excited about is the lack of prep, no sanding, half the taping, and if you dont like it you can just peel it right off!

Using this for a track application is best because if scratched or hit, a quick touch up spray fixes all

True.^^
I was looking into vinyl applications awhile back, looks like this is even cheaper.

sounds good but only a year tho?? :frowning: and how cheap are we talking?

I have done minimal vinyl work, but quickly learnt how time consuming and frustrating it can be, let alone the price of vinyl.
I saw $50/gal usd on the dipyourcar.com website. Gallon should put a good coat on entire car

Im really considering it, a flat gold or something would look bangin if fitted and kitted.
I dislike prep work, and refuse to pay somone else todo it. So this seems like the best solution

yea i was on the site, it mentions they sell a clear gloss coat aswell, im not a huge fan of flat paint on 240’s

A few buddies have done this, goes on more evenly, but still need minor painting skill to get it that even.

Should protect paint under neath too, for track, long drives, etc.

on the site it says that there is a car that has it on for 12 years!!

I’m going to order this and try it out, dipyourcar.com looks like a decent price.

nice!! im very curious about it, i would like to see it on a 240, what colour are u going for?

I think I’m gonna try semi-gloss black…

What do you guys think of using plasti dip for underbody protection instead of oil spray?

waste of product and risk of getting that shit on conponents…

sounds like a do it right or dont do it at all. Sounds like a fucking HORRIBLE idea, im with purestock240 here, I think its my bodywork knoledge making me say it though.

I honestly have mixed feelings I mean pure stock makes some decent paranoid remarks but they all seem to be squashed, (I can only hope hes wrong :P)

seems heavy - rolling your car is just as bad if not worse ( plus w/e its not a race car its a DD. A few extra pounds is really a meaningless argument.)

ugly - IMO I think it looks pretty good; looks like a vinyl wrap. looks 1000% better then roll jobs and seems MUCH easier the vinyl (To each his own I guess, deff will need to see it in person b4 throwing the money around.)

more expensive - yes but for someone like me that will be getting a full paint job in the next few summer seasons it makes a lot more
sense to do this which isn’t going to be a PITA to remove/prep for paint again, and driving around in a mismatch car is just embarrassing.

hard to remove - doesn’t look hard to remove consider he peeled it right off the tail lights and they say it can be removed without problems, I’m only worried that if it’s THAT easy to peel it off the headlights n shit that it would be JUST AS EASY to peel off the car itself; 1st stone chip seems like it might start peeling

I’ll post pics and details once Its done, which prolly wont be any time soon since I have much more important things to complete b4 i worry about the paint job. ( I’m looking to do flat black or flat/semi white, depending on if they have flat white. )

Heres what Im most worried about…

just looks SOOOOOO easy to come off, I could see a stone chip cutting/ripping the Plastidip it and wind/speed weather might make it lift up and up then suddenly the next thing you know the entire side of your car lifted

It seems like the issues with peeling or not peeling, just depends on if you have enough coats of this stuff on. Not enough coats, and it’s a thin layer, it’ll peel (bit by bit) easy from stonechips and won’t be easy to peel off as a larger piece for when you want to take it off because it would be weaker.
Enough coats, and it should stay intact and be more solid, obviously heavier, and easier to peel off as a whole as it’ll be strechier and want to stay together more…
Thats just what it seems like to me.

i have to agree with just_saying I gotta see it in person…