New SOHC Ka-T Numbers *PICS on pg 2

As some of you may remember I posted some dyno numbers up before and kind of got pissed on. Well I guess that comes with being a newb, and you have to take it to get the respect later on. Anyways, I stated last time I would be back with some better numbers and here I am. The only things that have changed on the setup are the fmic w/ 2.5" piping, 3’’ Turbo back exhaust, msd coil and accel 8mm wires. Injectors still remain stock, but not for much longer. Also the car has still not been tuned, that comes with the injectors.

Ok so here are the numbers:
First time: 156hp and 181ft/lbs
Now: 179hp and 213ft/lbs

Torque Cure is amazing @ 2500rpm I have 213ft/lbs then @ 3000rpm it drops to 200ft/lbs and carries that way until 4000rpm :smiley: . Horsepower peaks out @ around 4700rpm-5700rpm

will post pics of the dyno sheet when i get a chance

Much better than last and still no tune. Cant wait to get the new injectors and tune this whore. Then I’ll post again.

P.S. Heres the setup if you have forgoten:
T25 @ 5-6psi (slight boost leak somewhere)
31x8x3 FMIC w/2.5" piping
3" turbo back exaust
log style manifold
10:1 FMU (for now, until injectors come)
stock injectors
walbro 255lph fuel pump
msd coil
accel 8mm wires
I think thats all

Congrads man I like the way this project is going.

Mmmmmexcellent!

So any idea on how rich the car is running under boost? Any recent engine bay shots?

Torque is good. Time for us to exchange a few rides. :smiley:

Pics of under the hood coming soon along with the dyno sheet. As for running rich, well…The guy over at Tag Motorsports says its running a bit rich, considering his shop was a little smokey after the runs. I’m going back to tune it with the wideband when the injectors go in and the fmu comes out, I already have my safcII installed but its doing nothing yet. But I am very happy how the car is holdng up with stock injectors and no tune.

decent numbers… what is your budget at right now…

pretty much seems like the same hp with an sr with same mods but more torque

Im just under the $2000 mark with everything now, the injectors depending on which ones I get may put me just over that mark. I wont put anymore than $5000 into her. Once I get to that point she’ll be done

SOHC Ka-t rules :lol:
What’s up my man , happy to see that you running good now , slap some injector , turn up the boost , get it tuned and you will get over 200 HP for sure .
I am still running the almost clutch . I purchased a oem clutch but decided to invest in some serious cash and purchased and good aftermarket one .
You should start thinking about clutch too or you gonna see smoke comming out of the engine bay whenever you hit full boost :lol:
Congratulation ,
PS : Can’t wait for bruce to see this post , he just loves kat

Well I have a centerforce dualfriction clutch in there now, and it seems to be holding up really good, considering how I drive :lol: . So I dont think I have to worry about that anytime soon. I am looking forward to installing bigger injectors and tuning it, the numbers should go up pretty good. I am think of turning up the boost to 10psi when I get the injectors and tuning it for that. Then the car should be really fun. When I did my runs today the engine was only seeing 6psi, I have a small boost leak( shitty silicon couplers and gear clamps) Thats going to be another upgrade before I up the boost, reinforced couplers and t-bolt clamps :smiley:

something is still wrong though, you should’nt be hitting peak torque so early and you shouldn’t be dropping off that hard.

my biggest guess would be way way lean, or boost spike, but you say it holds 200ft lbs allthe way across and thats still more than your peak HP. im very interested to see what AFR you log with this setup and what your timing looks like. is there any knock?

your goal when you go to tune IMO:

225ft lbs of TQ @ 3250-3700rpm

240rwhp @ 5900-6100rpm

thats at the boost level you’re at now, if you cant reach that power level i think something is wrong. either not enough fuel or spark is dying or there is a huge restriction somewhre. the engine is making strong torque but something is killing it off hard

I dont think that is right for SOHC motor , when I dynoed mine , I got peak torque 3000 to 4500 and max HP from 4500 to 5500 .
The sohc will always give you more torque then HP , also we dont have a knock sensor :frowning:

Good job! What manifold are you running, the log style with the external wastegate?

if you’re getting more tq than HP i feel bad for you! maybe a cam could fix that or something

feel bad for them? You should be jealous if anything!!

I know of two nice KA-T setups, dynos:

1. ~200whp / ~285ft/lb tq (dohc s14)
  2. ~200whp / ~260ft/lb tq (sohc)

You guys have to consider the size of the turbo to the size of the engine.
I am running a log style manifold with an internally gated T25.
This thing spools crazy fast, quicker than an sr and the motor has a lot more
exhaust force up top than an sr to kill the efficiency of the turbo in the upper rpm range.
The reason the torque is so early, well…
It starts spooling @ 2000rpm and full boost by 2700rpm(where I get peak torque), and by the time the top end
of the sohc cam kick in the turbo is close to over its efficiency range.
But the car is running rich so that is robbing some of its power potential up top.
The 10:1 fmu is killing the a/f’s in the upper rpm range and once I get that sorted out the hp should go up considerably.
Down low where the torque is the a/f’s seem ok, not so much black smoke coming from the exhaust
so I dont think the torque will go up as much as the hp does once I get it tuned

Torque is fun though :smiley: :wackit:

Actually sasha , I like it the way it is , I am not a high Hp kind of guy , most of then from ka-t.org have more torque then Hp when under 250 HP.
I guess it normal for a single chain , single cam driven engine :lol: .
Yo Pump , If you need any assistance putting in the injectors , let me know

Hahaha - I always love statements like this.

Wait until your current HP level becomes boring…you’ll start looking for more. Next thing you know your selling socks at Dixie Value Mall just to get some extra spending money.

the extra displacement and the long stroke of the ka help the torque.

look at stock numbers, more torque than hp.

torque is fun yes. having lots of torque is great. having more torque than HP solely means your engineisn’t efficient as HP goes up.

whats better 200ftlbs at 2000rpm which stays there all the way to 7000rpm making the hp:

Torque = 5250(Horsepower)
RPM

Therefore

HP = Torque x RPM

Soooo HP would be (200 x 7000) / 5250

=266hp

or having the torque drop off from 200 to the point where even with the handy RPM = HP calculation we have here, we’ll never create more hp than ftlbs of TQ.

Torque in my mind is efficiency, the fact that yours drops off like that means somethings not right. I guess im not used to the KAE and the fact that these things dont rev much more than 6k, but either way regardless your peak torque should be occuring later than 2000rpm.

If the engine could hold that high torque 230-240ftlbs that I expect you can make all the way to 6000rpm you could have about 270hp. Obviously thats impossible with a T25 but for the car not to feel like a total dog in the top end your HP really has to clear your TQ.

Torque is nice, keeping that torque all the way across the power band? Nicer.