NYSpeed Track Day #1 - Friday June 15th, 2007

[quote=“Silver,post:495,topic:26320"”]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the HPS’ are made for high performance street driving…so no matter if you are braking early or late, they just aren’t made for track day applications like this.

[/quote]

My HPS worked fine, no fade. However like I said before McMoo’s had smoke literally pouring off them so I guess it varies for different cars.

[quote=“Rx3,post:499,topic:26320"”]

JayS, next time you go to a track day, try Porterfield R4-E Carbon/Kevlar pads. They will be up to the task and they work well with heavy cars like yours for track day applications. That and some Motul 600 would do the trick for your fat pig.

[/quote]

Yeah thats a good idea, I’m probably going to end up with the Porterfield R4’s front/back for the other stuff I’m doing this summer.

[quote=“Shockwave179,post:501,topic:26320"”]

My HPS worked fine, no fade. However like I said before McMoo’s had smoke literally pouring off them so I guess it varies for different cars.

[/quote]

Doesn’t change the fact that they’re a poor choice for a track event. And, like Dave said before, you were nowhere near getting 100% out of your car. I’m guessing if someone with good track experience and some brass balls took it out, they’ve have those pads faded within 10 minutes.

[quote=“brent_strong,post:502,topic:26320"”]

Doesn’t change the fact that they’re a poor choice for a track event. And, like Dave said before, you were nowhere near getting 100% out of your car. I’m guessing if someone with good track experience and some brass balls took it out, they’ve have those pads faded within 10 minutes.

[/quote]

Exactly. Regardless of driver ability and experience, these pads are not a good choice for a track day. I found my stock sti pads, lines, fluid to be better than these with ss lines and motul.

[quote=“eMKay,post:487,topic:26320"”]

The only thing that matters is how long you are on the brakes, because the longer you are on the brakes, the less time you are on the gas

[/quote]

You are correct re: going fast(er)… BUT - the heat-transfer DOES also differ in hard braking vs soft/slower braking. Think of it another way: braking “longer” also means that not only are you transferring more heat thru the pads into your calipers/fluid from that big heat sink we call a rotor - but ALSO it’s less time in between braking applications for everything to cool down! Hence my comment re: getting your braking done as hard/fast as safely possible w/o upsetting the car. Obviously there are exceptions where you just brake to settle the car / get more weight on the front wheels (example, Lime Rock on the downhill before the bend into the front straight), but most of the time I feel this holds true.

[quote=“JayS,post:500,topic:26320"”]

I found out that the 9x to 03 C5 Vette pads fit perfectly in my calipers, so that opens up a whole new world of options when it comes to pads.

[/quote]

That’s good to know. :tup:

Doesn’t change the fact that they’re a poor choice for a track event.

[/quote]

Then wouldn’t you be contradicting yourself since you used axis ultimates on the s2000 at Dunnville last year, by your standards those are “a poor choice for a track event” too because there not any better if not worse than HPS.

And, like Dave said before, you were nowhere near getting 100% out of your car. .

[/quote]

I was pushing the car plenty towards the end of the day, WOT in 3rd basically redlining and then braking HARD. I think me flying off the track shows that I was pushing it.

I’m guessing if someone with good track experience and some brass balls took it out, they’ve have those pads faded within 10 minutes.

[/quote]

I don’t really give a shit what other people are capable of doing, they worked for me that’s what I was stating, when Dave mentioned this stuff before I said they were fine for Dunnville but not acceptable for anything beyond that’s why I already mentioned getting Porterfield R4’s on the previous page…

Ok, Steve. HPS are great for the track and you can drive with the best of drivers. If you don’t understand what my statement was saying, I can’t explain it any better.

[quote=“brent_strong,post:507,topic:26320"”]

Ok, Steve. HPS are great for the track and you can drive with the best of drivers.

[/quote]

Like Aiman? :wink:

Steve, you flew off the track because you were watching your mirrors, even by your own admission. It was pretty obvious from where I was (coming up on your ass)… no homo.

[quote=“Shockwave179,post:506,topic:26320"”]

Then wouldn’t you be contradicting yourself since you used axis ultimates on the s2000 at Dunnville last year, by your standards those are “a poor choice for a track event” too because there not any better if not worse than HPS.

[/quote]

There was a heated debate over on iwsti about this, with people saying that the Axxis ULT’s have 300 more degrees (F) of operating temperature (their website claims 1022F or somewhere around that number). Neither camp seemed to come up with evidence that one pad was more resistant to fade than the other.

Oh and as per the Axis’ they did OUTSTANDING on the S2k last year, I was very surprised.

Post that on iwsti, you’ll spark another 8 pages I bet.

I may give the Axxis a shot just because they are so cheap. how much do they squeek/dust on the street?

I honestly dont recall, I rarely drove Brent’s car on the street, 98% Autox with the Dunnville Day. I’ve got HP+ for the wagon and Pagid Blue for the 944. Both with ducting. The 944 has ducting from the front valance to the scoop which covers the inside of the hat forcing cold air into it equally, and then has two lower scoops for the rotor. The 5 has ducting from the valance just towards the rotor but I might update it with a setup like on the 944. I dont forsee brakes being a problem for me.

[quote=“MPD47,post:513,topic:26320"”]

I honestly dont recall, I rarely drove Brent’s car on the street, 98% Autox with the Dunnville Day. I’ve got HP+ for the wagon and Pagid Blue for the 944. Both with ducting. The 944 has ducting from the front valance to the scoop which covers the inside of the hat forcing cold air into it equally, and then has two lower scoops for the rotor. The 5 has ducting from the valance just towards the rotor but I might update it with a setup like on the 944. I dont forsee brakes being a problem for me.

[/quote]

Now tires on the other hand… :wink:

omg Pics?

[quote=“Thong,post:512,topic:26320"”]

I may give the Axxis a shot just because they are so cheap. how much do they squeek/dust on the street?

[/quote]

Drop me a line tomorrow sometime and I’ll give you the rundown of my experiences. AIM/pm.

[/quote]

Zong when I had them on the scooby they werent bad at all, less dust than what I got now, but i also had gunmetal rims

[/quote]

WORST FUCKING PAD EVER on my EVO last year…uggg I was embarrassed to drive it on the street they were so fucking loud

I will say they were fucking amazing and quiet on my teg though

there’s nothing “ultimate” about the axxis. it’s a nice semi-agressive street pad (I ran/run them on the e30) fine for autox but no good for a track day. then again, some of the people cough STEPHEN BURKE couch don’t really push the car’s limits at Dunnville beyond what they would do at a larger autox like Seneca :wink:

on another note, Hawk wants a look-see at my HT10s and is issuing a FedEx call-tag for me to send them to them (at least that’s what TireRack called to tell me last night). They’re suggesting I go “up” to the DTC-70 but I’m not sure at that price point if it’s worth it, vs just buying Ferodo DS3000 pads ~ twice as often. Supposedly they have the same heat range and similar bite/release as the HT10s shrugs we’ll see.

Joe, after Mike and I completely abused the shit out of the Ultimates on my car, they quieted down for the remainder of the time I owned the car (I think it was under a month though…). Neither here nor there, but I definitely had noise problems before we tried our best to ruin them. They came through like champs though.