Official NHL Trade deadline thread

A discount being what? 5 mil a season? No thanks.

Always a first for everything. I don’t really understand your point with #2.

Another Gaustad? That’s exactly what this team needs- a big body who likes to throw it around as much as possible. Not to mention he has 4 fights so far this year. Yeah, that blows. And are you seriously comparing a 1st round draft pick to a lottery ticket? Sure, a good scouting team can find “a diamond in the rough” every once in a while (Miller being a 6th round pick or something), but take a look at next years prospects for the draft; it’s fucking STACKED with talent. Having 2 first round picks this off-season is going to be awesome. Even if it doesn’t pay out for another few years, did you really expect them to make a serious run for the cup this year? Remember, they lost 10 in a row when Campbell was in the lineup. He’s not exactly a make it or break it player, obviously.

I don’t really have an argument for this one, but I disagree with them being a laughingstock. Did you happen to catch Washington’s trade with Montreal? A #1 all-star goalie for a SECOND ROUND PICK IN 09. That’s absolutely hilarious.

It’s kind of ironic that you mention undersized guys when the trade we are talking about includes a 6’2 225 power forward who’s on pace for over 150 hits this year.

LOL at this one. I’m sure you’ve heard of addition by subtraction. Losing Campbell is NOT going to hurt them defensively. I do however think losing him is going to hurt the power play a little bit. Campbell was awesome when he moved the puck through the neutral zone.

Just so everyone gets an idea of that first round draft pick’s likely value for the next 4 years, it’s going to be in the 21-30 range. Here’s everyone picked there since 2004.
2007:
21. Edmonton (from PHO) Riley Nash
22. Montreal (from San Jose) Max Pacioretty
23. Nashville (from PHI) Jonathon Blum
24. Calgary (from STL) Mikael Backlund
25. Vancouver Patrick White
26. St. Louis (from NJ/SJ) David Perron
27. Detroit Brendan Smith
28. San Jose (from WAS) Nicholas Petrecki
29. Ottawa James O’Brien
30. Phoenix (from EDM) Nick Ross

2006:
20. Montreal (via San Jose) David Fischer, D
21. N.Y. Rangers Bobby Sanguinetti, D
22. Philadelphia Claude Giroux, RW
23. Washington (via Nsh.) Semen Varlamov, G
24. Buffalo Dennis Persson, D
25. St. Louis (via N.J.) Patrik Berglund, C
26. Calgary Leland Irving, G
27. Dallas Ivan Vishnevskiy, D
28. Ottawa Nick Foligno, LW
29. Phoenix (via Detroit) Chris Summers, D
30. New Jersey (via St. Louis) Matthew Corrente, D
2005:
21. Leafs Tuukka Rask, G
22. Bruins Matt Lashoff, D
23. Devils Nicklas Bergfors, W
24. Blues T.J. Oshie, C
25. Oilers Andrew Cogliano, C
26. Flames Matt Pelech, D
27. Washington (from COL) Joe Finley, D
28. Stars Matt Niskanen, D
29. Flyers (from FLA) Steve Downie, RW
30. Lightning Vladimir Mihalik, D
2004:
20 New Jersey Travis Zajac C Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL) 80 17 25 42 16
21 Colorado Wojtek Wolski L Brampton Battalion (OHL) 85 24 32 56 18
22 San Jose Lukas Kaspar L Litvinov CHP HC (Czech)
23 Ottawa Andrej Meszaros D Dukla Trencin (Slovak) 164 17 57 74 163
24 Calgary Kris Chucko R Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL)
25 Edmonton Rob Schremp C London Knights (OHL) 1 0 0 0 0
26 Vancouver Cory Schneider G Phillips-Andover (Mass.)
27 Washington Jeff Schultz D Calgary Hitmen (WHL) 38 0 3 3 16
28 Dallas Mark Fistric D Vancouver Giants (WHL)
29 Washington Mike Green D Saskatoon Blades (WHL) 92 3 12 15 54
30 Tampa Bay Andy Rogers D Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

See any all-star offensive defensemen in there? How many are even decent starters yet? Who’s going to quarterback the anemic power play, kalinin? If we offered up Gaustad and that draft pick for any all-starter defenseman the past 2 years in the league we’d get laughed out of the office. The fact that fans are happy they got something out of him cause it’s better than what this no-talent management team has done in the past is like being happy with your girlfriend for giving you herpes because your last one gave you aids.

Well there is 60 minutes in a hockey game.

Henrik and Lydman = 25 min
Pratt and Kalinin = 22 min.
Spacek and Paetsch = 13 min. (Spacek is good yes, but there will be 8 - 12 min of PP time to shove him in, where he is needed)

Defense is taken care of.

Power Play Paetsch did well in campbells roll. But putting kotalik in the #1 PP slot where campbell is and using paetsch on the number 2. Still have the point shot covered.

A 1st round draft pick (Pominville was a 55nd pick he developed well, leading the team in points) why not take a chance

Bernier - Is not a gaustad, bernier is like a larger kaleta. not a center.

We’re kind of loaded on the RW spot… but that happens… It gives us a chance to not resign one of the man RW’s we have…

Campbell wanting 6-7mil a year for 7 years… Fuck that… we still have to sign… Paul Gaustad (who will want more than 750K), Clarke McArthur (who will want more than 625K), Dan Paille (more money), Nolan pratt, and Mike Ryan.

Personally I say the hell with Mike Ryan. (who is a RW, like bernier)

Then Next year… We have Pominville and Stafford. who will fetch large contracts…

Then there is this other question, Do you think the Sabres can actually Afford the Cap? I don’t think so.

They’re going to be counter productive…If they put a crap-tacular product on the ice after they had the best team in the league ticket sales are going in the toilet. Draft picks don’t put asses in seats. This city has shown they’ll spend anything for a quality product; yet they still fuck it up.

nolan pratt?

are you fucking kidding me, that guy blows

stick to baseball

so because the guy doesn’t score he blows, right?

LOL Statistically he is better than kalinin. and he being paid… 550k a year… I think he is a steal.

thats 4 times less than kalinin…

hes another bum, i wish he got traded also.

me too… send maxim off with them too…

I think that was in the cards, but as the day went on they decided against it.

I’ll miss the guy. But, I’m excited to see what some new blood can do north of the blueline.

die

when max is healthy…he is a playmaker… he can set plays up. Regardless if he cant score. Still fast as hell.

max is not really good at setting up plays. he is better at skating in circles and losing the puck.

shut up tom…

u die too

join dan

group suicide? one person always backs out. “Oh man, I can’t believe he actually did it!”

hahahaha

HE’s a playmaker lol… at a team worst -10 he’s right up there with Briere in being a liability more than a playmaker lol

While obviously you have touched on many semi valid points, I would have to go ahead and disagree/justify almost every point you have made here as well, in one way or another.

Everyone can talk all they want but in the end, obviously only time will tell and personally I feel we still have a chance. Campbell went pretty cold after the allstar break (I don’t want to hear any excuses of him being bothered by all the negotiations.) He could have stayed if he really wanted to. We made him a few respectable offers over the course of a year, and he just played the game to the Buffalo media (regardless of if he wanted to stay or not) and ended up opting for the big money.

I don’t blame the Sabres and their decision. I feel we could have gotten a touch more for him but if the guy wanted to be here that badly, he would have stayed. I’m all for guys coming up through the system and I believe we will continue to shine in that department even through the entirety of this season.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PodcastPlayer&pid=7&iid=4287

:clap: to that first question

^^wrd