Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

You’re starting to sound like a telemarketer.

kinda sorta… id break it down into 200 calories x 5 meals per day… imho thats the way I did it… keep in mind I went from 300lbs - 179lbs.

lol

i hope you ate more then that. if you work out, even if trying to lose weight, you need to feed your body. losing weight is a part of the battle, you have to gain some muscle, increase cardio endurance, and lower body fat. 1000 caloreis per day is not healthy for a 180lb. man. you should honestly be eating 2400-2800 calories per day. just keep the calories very clean…

well… when i was losing alot of weight… as of late I have just been maintaining… Im prolly just under 2000 calories per day.

thtas still a little low…remember don’t look at a scale ever when dieting. exercise correctly, diet correctly, and give it the right amount of time…

even if trying to just lose weight, you should do some form of weight training a few days a week to keep your muscles hard and defined. cardio only will never develop your muscles. you can lose 30 lbs. and still look soft, or lose 15lbs. and look better because you have your muscles full of blood. it is great you lost that much weight, keep it up. but feed yourself a lilttle more, and try some weight training, i assure you will notice a huge difference.

I see what your saying here but, some people are not going for toned look / muscle… but simply just trying to lose weight.

Very true…good point. To add to that. When you are taking in such a small amount of calories your body will start to take the little food you have and store it as fat…sort of like survival mode. So in short “starving” yourself is not the best/healthiest way to go. Then you add that to doing high amount of cardio, which you not only lose fat but lean body mass (muscle) as well. Add those two together and sure you will lose weight but you will not look that great.

There are studies that compare people doing cardio for 45 min - 1 hour and lifting weights 45 min -1 hour (doing the bigger exercises, compound movements). The people doing cardio did burn more calories while working out…but not that much more, but tracking how many calories they burned 48 hours later the people who lifted weights burned 700 more calories. Basically when you lift correctly your body will not only build more muscle but will burn more calories after when you are not working out. Just some good info to know when one wants to drop some weight…the first thing people think of to do is reduce their calories way below how much they should be eating and jump on the treadmill for an hour each day…when in reality if they reduce their calories to a healthy deficit (5 meals/day) and have a solid lifting routine in the long run they will be way better off. Another thing one can add to speed up the process is HIIT where studies have shown…mostly fat is burned, muscles are built, and you continue to burn calories even after you are done.

very well written, I know Im not a poster child for health now but when I was working out this is what I followed, I’ve been trying to tell burnyd this for a year now and he won’t swallow it, he seems to think he’s right when he’s just not

man, everytime i read this, i wanna get off my ass! why cant i get up and do it! :frowning:

I understand what you have been saying completely… but for everyone its just like a car with food… you have to find your “happy” Air to fuel ratio lol…

if you did a proper diet/weight program, you would not have to exercise so hard…

i found a gym that i can train at fyi…

GOOD FOR YOU! I know its hard to get back into, I havent lifted since mid high school. (im 26) Im 5’8 and in high school I weighed roughly 150lbs, size 12/13 pants bc its all ass and thighs…but all muscle.

I now weight about 140lbs and im a size 6/8 and feel so sloppy and lazy. My work schedule is crazy too. I work 2 jobs 6 days a week. It sucks. And as for the work thing, trust me I know, but since you work so much you shouldnt be eating a lot.

And it all starts at home! If your tempted at home…get rid of it!!!

Im a big snacker, so now all i buy is yogurt, sugar free pudding, rice cakes, bananas, dried fruits, ect. If you get tempted at least eat the right things!

I have a candy bar on the island in the kitchen a 5lb box of jellybeans in a vase in the living room, with a candy jar on the coffee table…I eat maybe 10pcs of mnms a week…talk about temptation!

you can do it!!! but only if your willing to try.

:bigthumb: for losing weight!

:down: for going below 180!

sometimes it takes a lil push…and sometimes violence if its an extreme case…

it helps if you have a partner too, anyone local you can pair up with to get you moving?

If you were a bit closer you could dome train w/ me at the house…

I am going to be changing up my routine in a little bit here. I want to try something different that is a proven method to put on decent size. The two methods I am looking into is GVT (German Volume Training) and DC training (DoggCrapp training). Both are fairly well known methods that are proven to work when done correctly and supplemented with a solid diet.

GVT is basically where you pick 4 exercises per workout and for two of them you perform 10 sets of 10 with 90 seconds rest. Typically you use 60% of your one rep max and it should work out pretty good. There are different phases where you up the % of the weight and do 10 sets of 6. I tried this yesterday with chest and tri’s and I think I liked it. I started out with flat BB bench and tried to get 10 sets of 10 but only got 10 reps for the first 7 sets and 9 for the last 3 sets. I then did 3 sets of 9 for incline BB bench, then did 10 sets of 10 for close grip bench, then did 3 sets of 10 for tri extensions. With out much rest at all after my last set of tri extension I put on a weight I can press for 20 reps fresh and only got it for 5 reps. At the end of my workout I was pretty fatigued and had a ton of blood flowing. It was just a little weird getting a workout in with a weight I would consider for a heavy warmup set. Here is a link describing the technique a little more:

http://www.strengthcats.com/CP-GVT.html

DC training is basically a variation of rest-pause training. You pick a weight you can get for 8 reps and start off repping for 8 reps, rack it and take 10-15 deap breaths (20-25 seconds) and p[perform as many reps as you can, rack weights and repeat. After you are done you will do intense stretching for that muscle holding a stretch for 60-90 seconds. The key is hitting each body part 3 times in 9-10 days, you do this by only doing one exercise for 3 sets per workout (multiple body parts per workout). The theory is each workout is a “growth phase” and if you can get more growth phases in you will grow faster (makes sense to me). I may try a little trial run of this as well. Here is a link for a little more info on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggcrapp_training

Basically what I want to do is switch it up a little to spark some new muscle growth and to add a little variety to my routine. Currently I am doing a typical 4 day split where for the bigger lifts I work in the 8 rep range and the smaller lifts in the 10-12 rep range.

Well I tried both methods (GVT and DC) and I think for about 6-8 weeks I am going to give the DC method a shot. I like the logic of the routine…hitting each muscle group with lower volume and higher frequency, with a HIT approach. I figure since this is a bit intense I will be able to make solid gains for a somewhat short period of time.

well, i guess i can now add myself to this thread as well. after sitting at a desk and eating non-stop for the past 2 1/2 years, it was time for a change. in high school i was about 195 lbs and that was playing sports all the time. finally got my fat ass on a scale and saw that i was 236 lbs which was unacceptable.

for the first 5 weeks all i did was ate much healthier foods and in MUCH better proportions…lost about 20 lbs. throughout this time i started taking walks during my lunch break as well. i wasn’t happy that i was breathing hard after walking up a few flights of stairs.

this past week i started working out at our company gym. no lifting, pretty much just sticking to cardio stuff. in the past week i’ve lost another 5 lbs thanks to crunches, pushups, and the arc trainer (kinda like a stepper and bike combined). surprisingly i’ve been able to push myself while i’m on it which i didn’t think i would be able to do.

my goal when starting all of this nonsense was to be 200 lbs. after eating better and starting to workout, i’ve lowered that number to 190 lbs. i figure about 190 lbs isn’t too bad for a 6’1" guy.

BMI’s:
236 lbs = 31.1 = obese
216 lbs = 28.5 = overweight
211 lbs = 27.8 = still overweight

Goal of 190 lbs = 25.1 = still overweight (25 is the cutoff)

i realize that BMI is not the deciding factor and that these are rough estimates based off of my height and weight. however, it does give a good starting point. for anyone that has seen me, i’m not a slim guy by any means so i would be more than happy with 190 lbs.

• jeff

thats great jeff!

BMI really doesnt meen anything You could be a body builder and be overweight with BMI. How long did it take you btw?

I don’t pay much attention to the BMI. According to it I am close to being obese…I am @ 219 @ 6’ 1"…and am far from being fat. But like you said it is a good place to start for a reference. Once/if you start building more muscle the BMI will become irrelevant.

It’s good you took the big first steps to getting in shape, changed your diet, trying to be more active. That is an awesome start, but I would lean off the cardio a little and maybe start a workout routine using mostly compound movements. You will burn the same and maybe more calories (see one of my post above) and I would throw in some HIIT to replace the cardio. HIIT is more efficient and will focus on fat loss, where performing cardio will cause fat loss and muscle loss.

Good job so far and good luck!!!