Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

x 2…exercise will beat out a diet anyday…

mass tech is a weight gainer, be careful of the calories.

No need to look at it that way. I look at it as a combo. If you eat crap and have a bad diet…and have the best workout plan then chances are your results will come very slow. I think diet is very important as is exercise…you can’t have one w/o the other and expect good results.

well, its a combination of both and it goes both ways for weight loss or weight training.

Simply going on a diet will not cut it, I dont think joining a gym is the greatest for weight loss, you can always run, swin bike etc… Weight watchers is good because it gets you ont he right pat as far as what to eat and eating habits.

Just simply getting someone motivated is hard enough…

of course, i should have explained it more. but i was stating exercise is very important, diets are not the way to lose weight. you need a good diet, clean calories, and steady exercise

you don’t need to join a gym, but you need exercise. running is great, walking, etc. but given our lovely climate, we only have like 2 sunny days a week

good info… only thing i need now is motivation… and some energy :tired:

try taking a preworkout drink, its hard for me to go to the gym, but if i drink one of those, im just like “fuck i wasted 30 bucks on this jar of powder, im getting my moneys worth”. its worked out.

Just an update on my progress. I’ve lost 16 lbs. as of my last weigh in on Monday. I’m still using Weight Watchers. Hubby and I joined a gym but haven’t started using it yet :doh: Last week I lost 3 lbs. and if I’ve lose another three this week I may add some points to my plan or just start eating more of my weekly point allowance.

Good job! I’ve actually put on 5 lb (of mostly muscle) this year, which for me is as hard as someone trying to lose weight.

Congrats to both of you…try to keep it up…being consistent is over 1/2 of fitness.

For me over the winter I was try to gain some weight and while doing so I gained a little fat and lost my six pack. I went up to 225, so for the past couple months I cleaned up my diet a lot and tried to lose weight slowly to minimize the loss of the muscle I gained. I went down to about 210 where I lost some strength so I slightly upped my calories (all very clean) and now am @ about 215 or so and most of my strength came back. I was/am getting to the point where I am the strongest I have ever been setting new PR’s.

Then on Monday while squatting I got out of form slightly, and like a dumb ass I finished my set. I felt some pain in my lower back so like a dumbass again I finished my workout doing all easy exercises that put very little stress on my lower back. Well the next day I woke up in terrible pain in my lower back. I could barely get out of bed or walk…hurt to sit. The only time it felt decent was when I was flat on my back. I had to go to work which was terrible b/c I sit all day. Since then I saw a chiropractor and my regular doctor. The chiropractor showed me in my x-ray that my lower back is out of whack and he said I probably stretched my ligaments which will cause the pain. My doctor said I probably stretched or tore my muscle/ligaments. So it looks like I will be laid up for a week or so before I can walk somewhat normal which sucks. Both did say once it does not bother be to be on my feet too much I can get back into the gym and to avoid exercised that put stress on my lower back. So hopefully by htis weekend I feel a lot better and get back into things.

Sorry to hear…been there, done that too. I was told by my chiro that the best thing to do is drink a LOT of water (like a gallon a day if you’re not already) and mega dose Vitamin C. Collagenous tissue loves the Vitamin C, so don’t hesitate to dump 2000 mg into your system.

my update… since I posted that I started killing it on my mountain bike and have been eating almost all salad and hard boiled eggs. since then I’ve dropped down from 225 to 200 and feel amazingly better! I can run up steps now without having a corinary! I just need to keep at it and maybe get moe educated on my diet now that I’ve been keeping up on being active.

good job everybody. keep it up

I’ve been wokring my ass off, running 3-4 days a week and doing cardio, but my diet is killing me. It’s so hard to change every day habits, especially when I’m sitting at work all day and the vending machines are right there.

when im at work at advanced, the snack cart is right in front of me, and its so easy to just go grab a candy bar. i actually started bringing fruit to work, thatway i just eat that instead of eating candy. has been working pretty well so far.

I just weighed myself. Gained one lb. :down:

its gonna happen. when you focus on diet, your metabolism will even out and you won’t lose weight. i don’t want you to pay me. get me a pass to your gym, and ill show a few good workouts. along with a healthy diet. you will lose more weight then weight watchers. and you’ll be healthier

I’m all for working out, but I’m sticking with Weight Watchers despite your opinion of it. I know why I gained. Two family cookouts over 2 weeks=gain 1 lb.
I go to the Wilmerding YMCA. I’m going to do a few of the aerobics classes they offer. They seem like a good, fun workout. I would like to do some strength training as well. However, I have Fibromyalgia, so that has to be taken into consideration.

you dont have to quit weight watchers…

weight watchers will teach you to watch your diet, calories, count points, etc…

that is a good basis for a healthy diet. honestly, if you really want to stick with it, you can do it. its all up to you much weight you lose. you can do some strength training with fibromyalgia, my mother in-law has it, and is 60+ years old, and i have taken her to the gym. you dont have to go crazy, just trial and error of what is not painful to do…

but a good light cardio regiman will help a lot, if you can, try to get 45 minutes of cardio 4-5 days per week. follow the calories weight watchers tells you eat, but add 10-20% more. just make them healthier calories. when you exercise, you will burn a lot more calories, so you have to eat a little more. make them small meals. example-make a turkey sandwich w/mustard on whole grain bread, and cut it in 1/2. that can be considered 2 meals. slom fast shakes can count as 1. you should eat 6-8 small meals, but kepp the calories low. under 2400 or so if possible. smaller meals will burn out of your system faster.