Police Scanners

good luck with that one. their channels are encrypted, and the police issue units are trackable and fry-able

someones been watching The Fast and Furious

I’m pretty sure those are illegal unless you have a HAM radio licence…even then its pretty sticky territory.

ive got one, it has saved me about ten tickets so far, it has extremely long range on it.

farmer

you guys have no idea what your talking about

the police use Trunk radio systems, you can buy a Bearcat scanner which picks up the police trunk radio systems. and they CANT FRY YOUR RADIO wtf?!

no its not illegal, and you need a ham radio to operate on certain air waves which are not citizens band or public

i have one and it works fine i can hear markham in brampton

After I saw S13gg’s post I was going to say that it was incorrect but I figured I’d wait for you guys to speak for me.

-fast and the furious?.. I just got the full set of the gumbally3000 rally and figured it would save me tickets in the future as farmer stated.

DTS, and farmer check your pm’s i’m curious to where you picked your’s up. I want to compare prices before I buy one…

thanks guys…

…fast&thefurious…hah…

meh, I’ll take your word(s) for it. I stand corrected

mind you my words are paraphrase from GRPS

hey share it out, i knew alot of us want it!!!
its not just save the ticket, the F-ing insurance will get sky rocket if u got a ticket,
so anyone know the best way to avoid them??

Police scanners sounds like a great way…then you know when its safe.

a radar detector would be nice except their illegal here…though you can still get a hold of one… anyone know the charge or fine that you get if you get caught with possesion and use of radar detector in Ontario?

I’m not suggesting anything illegal…dont lock this for a bit please mods…

Just want to get some answers…Unless there has already been a thread about this post. If so could you leave the link?

The best way to avoid tickets would be to not do anything illegal.

I want it for traffic accidents, traffic back ups, speed traps, etc. Just day to day stuff that you don’t want to get caught in

whats the differents between police scanner and radar detector?

one picks up radio signals, the other decetd short band radar. some of the fancy pants detector are also capable of sending a false signal bac to confure the copper. there are also laser radar detectors and jammers… all of which can get you a pretty heafty fine in ontario. my advice. drive safe, don’t get caught, and if you have one of the fancy devises, have a good place to stash it quick if you’re pulled over.

dfn: fast&thefurious = slow&thesilly (it’s true it’s in an import tuner magazine I have)

I actually heard about a year ago that the police had devices to detect our radar detectors or was someing feeding it to me???

$180 and the detector taken away. Don’t ask how i know…

I actually heard about a year ago that the police had devices to detect our radar detectors or was someing feeding it to me???[/quote]

No, this happend to my brother. He was driving along minding his own business when pulled over. The cop had a “detector-detector” and nabbed him. The fine was 200 bucks and the detector was confiscated.

Unless you have a system that can beat the “Spectre II” technology that the O.P.P. uses you are outta luck.

Its like that movie “the big hit” ‘trace busta busta’s’

With the scanners at least I would be able to hear where their patroling, Or where their doing speed traps, etc. Without the fear of getting caught with the radar detector.

and I have an off topic question that doesnt really matter but is my avatar working and is it to big?

Well this is coming from my buddy who’s a tow truck driver.

The police have switched to a digital system now and no longer use a “trunk” system. Only fire and ambulance use the old style now.

If you do get one, make sure you test it first for the area(s) you want to use it in. You need it programed for different divisions.

Easy 8)

Radar detectors emmit some kind of leakage which the cops detector detectors can trace. There is only one radar detector on the market that does not emit this leakage but you’ll be shelling out over a grand for it.

Theo

If you want my two cents here it is

i had a radar detector that i got off ebay for $100 shipped here. It was made my a company called PNI. In independant tests it performed within 95% as good as a $1000 valentine unit but its much less money. It had the “detector detector” on it, and on more than one occasion it alerted me of a cruiser, moving, towards me, with the detector detector and it would shut its own detector circuit off so that it would not be “seen” by the cop. This unit worked very well and i had no problems with it and for the price i HIGHLY reccommend it. I might get another one soon

(I had forgotten to take it off my windsheild one day and a cop pulled up next to me and saw it and that was it- $180 fine)

From what I understand there is one system the cops have that makes this kind of detector useless but most cops DONT have this specter system. As well, the cops detector detector can only see, say 500 feet where as the “detector detector detector” (whew) on the unit i had can see double that. Point is that by time my unit sees the cops unit and shuts off, the cop will not have had a chance to know i had a detector.

It saved me many speeding tickets though i dont drive excessively fast. But if anyone is going to get nabbed for 10 over its me. Also warns of firetrucks and ambulances.

You need to understand some of the basics of how radar and laser work to use a detector properly though- specifically where the cops are more or less likely to use each method given density of traffic and time of day and location and so on. Do your own homework here, its saved me before. Once i got pulled over by a cop who said i was speeding and that he radared me from 40 feet away and picked my car out of a line of traffic that was “bumper to bumper”…ummmmmmmmmmmmmm no

anyhow do your homework and use a detector if you like. Theres no reason to be caught with it if you know when to use it and not to. In the daytime within the city for instance a radar detector is totally useless. On the highway at night its best.

any questions you can ask me i dont wanna sound like a know it all but ive researched this topic quite a bit and ran it past a relative who is with OPP as well…

Twitchy out