Project 10Sec $4K 4thGen

notice how I brought the evo into it, and not the camaro for that very obvious reason. I didnt want to go there because its not my place so for you to say I like to start forum drama, right now im seeing you are starting it by bringing that car into it.

Im talking about your evo once again. I dont give a flying fuck about racing you, or anyone else. Say what you want about beating me, I really dont give a flying fuck.

who else thinks all pissing matches sould be settled on the drag strip?

theres no point. He doesnt go to the drag strip and neither do I. He already walked me on the street’s which was expected considering he has a 800whp+ evo.

I’m dropping it where it’s at right now and suggesting that this thread gets back on topic. Mods, feel free to move/delete the banter between SS and I.

Im still confused why this wouldn’t just be a stock engine. Don’t even pull the intake off. 10:1 cr and boost is not that bad on a LS1 aluminum head. NGK TR7s and a little race gas and this thing will take 20# of well intercooled boost before knock sets in. The top ring will expand and break the piston top before it would detonate like this for as long as the tune is right or conservative. If you have to break the motor open do this and leave it be. My $0.02.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

That’s what I was saying. I’d copy what Hot Rod did, turn it down a little bit to be safe, and run it. I joke about Mike about racing/beating him with the Camaro, but this thing has the potential to suck it’s doors clean off if done right.

I will catch up on the comments tomorrow am. I didnt even get to read them. TT, I got your text. Its all good homie :number1

This is why I didnt just plop an ass whooped I am sure 229Kmi truck motor in and turn up the wick. Its one of the first major projects under my shops name, I am going to extra lengths to make it right, well, to impress people and make money! Its really that simple in the end. Never the less, it leaked oil, and some of the valve stem seals leaked a bit, so at that point half the motors coming apart, might as well take it all apart. Noticed 2 clogged rod bearings, and slight scoring on the crank. Got some bearings and a polish. Honed it and got rings for $90, then noticed this:

That chunk would have snapped off with 2psi of boost. If it didn’t instantly, I dont think it would have held for 1000 miles under 8-10psi.

Now you all are up to speed on how I got here, a bit more in depth than just “I need pistons now”.

that got dropped or suttin , deff not a mechanical deal .

2 psi? try on start up. btw you dont need forged pistons, people run over 20 psi on hypereutectic pistons all the time. doubt you need more boost than that to run 10s.

I covered that last night more or less. I knew it needed a reseal atleast, and the more I got into it, the more I noticed problems.

It was all done on an engine dyno, apparently it was put into a car and it only made a hand full of miles and came apart. There is so much more of a dynamic load in the car than on an engine stand apparently it stresses the engines totally different. Who knows how true it is, its a news article anyways. Someone could say its still running in their car today, none us would know any different.

Thats what it looks like. But I know it wasnt us. The motor came apart on the bench, I had autobody paper down on the bench to mark my parts and where they came from in the block. They sat there for a few weeks, collecting dust, literally, Then they were in the parts washer sitting there for a few days soaking, after that Bowman and I started cleaning them and found the crack.

Nobody in the shop even goes near that bench and they are set back against the back wall, no way they could even get bumped off the bench and hit the floor.

Since the truck was RAPED when i bought it for the motor, I wouldn’t doubt someone had them out in the past and fucked them up. Who knows.

Nobody needs anything, I want HPZ!

To stick to the original plan, and chill people out, ill just get the stock replacements and put it together.

Don’t forget too that, that truck was in a pretty good impact accident… Not saying that is/was the cause of the piston cracking. But I agree on the impact part.

I agree with the HRM engine in question not lasting long but considering how many times it got beat on the dyno and what power levels that it was at I believe you could still get into the 10s with a stock bottom end motor with boost and be fine. That 1200hp engine in a car with an auto and a 9inch probably couldn’t put 1000hp to the wheels.
I was not aware that your engine had so many miles on it. Its pretty amazing it was in as good condition as it was seeing signs of poor maintenance. I think you could probably get some stock 6.2 pitons (4.030" bore) and have the block bored. Then it will take less boost to get ya movin. The LSA and LS9 pistons may even be dished. Could still say it is stock internals. Just not stock LQ4 truck internals…

Honestly, there is two ways to look at it.

If it were my personal project and the motor was apart, it without a doubt would get aftermarket rods and pistons. However, there is something to be said, marketing wise, for a shop (CRC), to go 10’s in a modern(ish) vehicle for as little money as possible.

With that said, I’d honestly push it to the limit on stock internals, market the shit out of it, then build the engine with money made off of the marketing.

Well said

GMHT made over 1000hp on one. The marketing is already done.

Gmht and crc are different

really? Didn’t know that.

Dude :rofl Drew, why are you wearing gloves in your sig pic? You drive a V8 “muscle car”… you shouldn’t need to wear gloves. :lol

They made pulls on an engine dyno? Impressive? Sure. But it’s no different than the Supra’s that make 1000WHP on the stock bottom end, but would throw a rod on the first high load street/pass at the track. Putting it in a full(ish) weight street car and having it hold together is another feat all together.

That’s why I said detune it a bit and it should live for a long(relative) time.

Maybe it’s something with 4th gen Camaro guys. When I bought mine back in 1998, the owner wore gloves on the December test drive.