Project 10Sec $4K 4thGen

Bunch of Sallys

Or maybe their hands were cold?

:tongue

it was 20* that day and we were outside for over a hour. Its only a mechanics glove. I actually brought them to keep dan’s hands warm for shooting our cars but he just bought a pair. BTW, Jeff has gloves on too…

Has their even been a 20* day yet? I think not

I kiid i kiid

Bingo.

Thats true. They put the numbers down and started a flood of controversy on LS1tech and other sites. I guess my original idea other than using the car to build business, was to prove the other half of that mystery. What will hold in a car as opposed to an engine dyno.

I would like to dump the money into the bottom end which I know is the right thing to do for a proper build. BUT, I plan on CRC being here for a long time, so it will happen, no need to rush it.

Stock replacement slugs are on order and should be here along with the cranks and heads/valves back from the machine guy helping me along big time. Motor will be assembled and I can finally start putting the LS1 front end back on the car. My goal is mid to late Jan have a roller with the motor and trans hung in the car, cage completed and what ever interior is staying, installed. Then I can take a short break and lay out the turbo setup and all the small things I need to do from that stand point.

Their numbers have been repeated (actually, they repeated OTHER PEOPLES numbers). Junkyard iron blocks have been used this way for a couple years now. Lots of people running anywhere from low 9’s to high 10’s with junkyard, untouched bottom ends.

If you plan on forging it, toss those heads away right now. They are useless as tits on a bull… switch to aluminum 317’s or move up to 243’s. If you really want to go the right route, switch to an LS3/L92 OEM head and intake… I wouldn’t do it any other way if I were in your position.

This is not an iron head 6.0 is it? Cause it will want 9:1 cr or lower with iron heads.

Anyway, I think everyone one agrees that this is possible on stock internals. Forged pistons wouldn’t be a bad idea cause they are the first weak link. CRC is marketing custom fabrication more than engine building or tuning (at least I think) So if he can fab some custom stuff to help this thing go 10s I don’t think it matters what is in the engine. The turbo manifolds and suspension set up will speak enough for his skills. I think everything you fab should be powder coated a nice bright color so you can say “see everything that is lime green? Thats what we make!”

A baby cam would help move things along in that motor. A ZO6 cam, 220/220 or 224/224 on 114 LSA will get this thing breathing deep.

Johawk is on it. Thats exactly what I am after.

Yeah they are iron big valve heads. its from a 99 2500.

The iron heads are 2.00 and 1.55 valves. Same port geometry as a 243 casting LS6 head. Chambers are much bigger. I think these were 9:1 motors from the factory. The later 317 casting 6.0L head was aluminum and had slightly tighter combustion chamber and 9.5:1 cr. I would very much recommend the 317 or 821 / 823 L92 truck heads as Smokin suggested. They should yield 9.5:1 cr and the L92 head is a as cast LS3 head. 300+ CFM!

Joe you know your gm’s dude Lol

It’s cuz I’m dreamin everyday! LoL

You dirty bastard, I was the one that suggested it.

Oh damn. My bad buddy. Please forgive my foolishness.

:rofl

Forgiven… kind of.

I would put A ls6 cam in it, 243 heads on it with the sodium filled valves and let the bottom end take the abuse. There are guys running 20+ psi on that setup on a stock bottom end running well into the 9’s. The key is low timing with a dialed in toooooon.

317s are easier on the wallet and will net same result. If you’re gonna pay for 243s on a 6.0 might as well just get the L92s

Aluminum 317’s would be better for the 4" bore, plus they are like $150ish on ebay. Sodium valves are useless on this build, it will never see high enough RPM to benefit from a lightweight valvetrain.

there is no reason why it couldnt see 7-7500rpms with those sodium filled valves, ported oil pump etc.

and mike, I just got your father’s voicemail this morning about going out to the cape in june for stripers. Let him know I am in.

The alum heads will benefit this motor a ton in just its cooling charecteristics , high r.p.m,s on boost isn’t needed just the right gear and so on .