RANT re: Cops

At first I thought you were being a smartass when you said, “what’s wrong with this”, but now I think you honestly don’t understand why the cops are looking at you.

You do realize a cop puts up with a ton of shit every day. They deal with scumbags the rest of try to pretend don’t exist. Most of them have families. Every day they get up and go to work, look their families in the eye, and know that there is a chance they may never see them again. Sure, we could all die in a car accident on the way to work, but if you’re a cop there is certainly a lot more risks than your average 9-5er.

So day after day they do this job, the vast majority of them doing it because they believe in those words “protect and serve”. For every one who got the job because he needed a power trip there are hundreds who do it because they want a job where they feel they are giving something back.

Now put yourself in that guy’s shoes when he’s pulling you over for the 10th time because of some equipment violation that you feel you’re special and don’t have to follow. Basically, you’re saying, “Fuck you pig, I want tints, I don’t respect the law, your job, or you”. The first time he just gives you a ticket. The second time maybe he doesn’t remember you and gives you another. By the third time he remembers you, or maybe the third ticket comes from his buddy who mentions the white trash looking rattle can camaro. So he talks to a couple other cops and before you know it the entire Cheektowaga PD force is watching for your very easy to spot car.

Police don’t live in a bubble. They see fellow officers dying, or being permanently disabled on the job just like the rest of us. Except instead of being able to say, “Glad I don’t have to deal with that at my job” and changing the channel, these guys know that tomorrow it could be them. They pulled over the wrong car with tinted windows and couldn’t see the passenger with a warrant and an illegal handgun who was determined not to go back to jail. Bang, that wife you kissed goodbye this morning is getting a knock at the door from a captain. That son has to get the talk explaining why daddy isn’t coming home.

Now do you understand why they might take it personally when you basically spit in their face constantly? Grow up.