Remote starters, how do they work?!?? [split]

do you have any idea how much gas is “wasted” sitting there?

ave duty cycle at idle is like 1-3%

Stock injectors in your truck are 21lb or 220.5cc/min * 8 (8 injectors) 1764cc/min

there are 3785CC per GAL

so my dumb math is telling me it would take 2.14 minutes to flow a gallon of gas through 8 injectors WIDE OPEN.

Assuming a 3% DC, I take 1764 * .03 and get 52.92CC/min at idle.

or it would take 71 minutes of idle to burn one gallon of fuel.

71 minutes costs $3.50, or 5 cents a minute

So letting it sit for 5 minutes to idle up to temp to toast your buns costs you all of $0.25 :lol

(there is way more number crunching to find the actual flow, but that’s gotta be in the ballpark i would think)

Going by that math, I’ll gladly pay roughly 84 cents per day to get into a nice warm car (basing that off $4/gallon and a 15minute remote starter run time).

Yup, I’m ok with throwing away roughly $0.75 a day to get into a warm car. $3.75 a week isn’t going to break my bank account! LOL

I miss TDILogik, I wonder if pete would say about this topik.

130k mile 4 banger!? I will let that bitch idle all day DONT CARE WONT DIE!

A penny saved is a penny earned, right?

More like a penny saved is a penny had by a cheap bastard LOL.

Any modern engine that is properly maintained is going to outlast the body on whatever car it’s installed in if it’s daily driven in Upstate NY, even if the owner idles it for many many minutes a day.

Lock’er up!

Math has to be off.

At highway speeds at around 60 miles an hour you will go let’s say 30 miles in 30 minutes.

At 30mpg, that would be a gallon in 30 mins at cruising rpm of let’s say 2000, and 30% throttle.

So in 15 minutes you would burn half a gallon of gas at 30%, or ~$2.

Divide that by ten to get 3% idle and you get 20 cents for every 15 mins if not more.

All I know is on average I let my car run for about 5 mins on remote start and my mpg for the week drops from 24 to 20, or around 100 miles less per tank, or $15 a week in other terms.

$60 a month for remote start operation of 5 minutes.

My 2 cents.

Edit: my math isn’t any better. I got only about 1.25 cents a minute so even cheaper by my math then your 5c a minute.

You’re (not anyone in particular) living beyond your means if you consider fuel costs to warm your vehicle before you drive it in cold weather.

The pulse width and duty cycle of an injector/s on a specific engine at a specific rpm can change dramatically depending on the engines volume-metric efficiency. So knowing what kind of fuel economy you’re seeing at a highway speed really doesn’t have much to do with how much fuel you are using at idle nor at WOT.

On top of that, a cold engine will use MUCH more fuel at idle then an engine at operating temperature and progressively ramp towards stoich (using less fuel) as the coolant temp rises.

That would explain the mpg drop.

Thank you.

Vlad, also take in consideration drag on the car’s body cutting through the air, rolling resistance on the tires, grade changes, parasitic losses in the driveline… all of which are not happening when the car is sitting outside in park idling of course.

Even through you might be cruising at XX mph at or close to idle rpm’s, the duty cycle is higher, using more fuel, making more power, to be able to maintain the speed AND rpm of the vehicle with all the above resistances.

Flat, no added wind resistance, low load cruising DC is still around 15-30% I bet on most cars.

You can probably figure out fuel usage at idle with a calculator like this one

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calcinjpulse.html

Then you can never, ever, ever complain about being cold in the morning driving to work.

If you buy a soda ONE day this week, the money spent on that would have paid for the warm up gas and for your daily commute for 6.6 mornings.

Since the work week is usually 5 day, at that rate, Paul, by not buying a soda once a week, you are actually MAKING money warming up your car, and your not cold when you first get into it! Since you gain an extra 1.6 mornings worth of warm up fuel if you only work 5 days a week.

think about it. You can thank me later. :rofl

3.715 cc/min PER injector for pauls truck, based on tossing quick numbers in that.

29.72 cc/min for 8 injectors (I initially figured 52CC, not a bad guess huh)

So based on that calculator, instead of $0.25 per 5 min warm up like I thought its actually around $0.17 per 5 min warm up! LOOOOOL

I dont give a shit if its cold when Im driving to work and I dont drink soda.

+1

And SOOO much BS in this thread about this engine warmup topic my head is spinning.

Explain sir !!!

A Bro must alert other Bros about any girl fight.