Squeeling Clutch

A couple weeks ago, my Mazda has let out this horrendous high-pitched squeel whenever I slip the clutch a bit (like on a hill). It also occurs when I’m accelerating onto the highway and shifting quickly, it lets out a short squeek. It happens only then. If I’m driving normally with clean shifts, I don’t get any noises. It seems to happen at the very top of the pedal travel, right as it fully disengages.

Any thoughts as to what’s causing the noise? If it’s something serious, could it be covered under the warranty?

How many miles are on the car?

Probably rivets hitting

A hair over 48k.

What do you mean/

is it the stock clutch? has it been replaced?

I’m not clutch expert by any means, but is it a hydraulic clutch? is the fluid level topped off?

It’s a stock clutch that’s never been touched.

Yes, it’s hydraulic.

Could be the release fork pivot or bearing…or even the pilot bearing. Is it transient, or all the time in the same spot/load conditions. Can you replicate it at will?

Has the point of disengagement moved at all since you’ve owned it? I have been in many cars where the actual pivot on the pedal itself squeaks, due to wear the pedal itself now sees “foot pressure + pressure plate feedback” at diff points than it did new…making the pivot bushings squeak. It usually gets worse as it gets warmer.

In my last Civic my pedal pivot squeaked for over 2 years, but it would squeak even when I wasn’t selecting a gear and when the car wasn’t running.

No, it doesn’t occur all the time. I can drive at a slow/normal weight and not hear it. But if I slip the clutch when driving or when I release the clutch quickly, like accelerating onto the highway, it will squeel. And I can do it whenever with no problem.

No, it still feels the same as far as I can remember it.

Hey Poisonous, was that you in your Lecar earlier this afternoon at the corner of Baum and S. Negley?

probably a pilot bearing or sounds like when really under load its making metal to metal…could be a frozen up TOB

So, it’s something simple then?

Im guessing clutch is toast. down to the rivets.

thats what i was thinking. slipin and squeelin. thats why when you let it out on a hill and when your shifting hard.

I’m going to be so pissed if I need a new one. Damn thing’s got less than 50k on it. Unbelievable.

depends on how agressive of a driver you are…i look at 50,000 miles and think thats a lot. I usually get about tops 10,000 miles…so what im saying is it could always be worse. And no that is nothing your warranty will cover. All of those issues are wear items. That would be like asking them to replace your tires after 30,000 miles…

50k on a stock clutch doesn’t seem bad. I’m at 48k on a clutch that’s had a bad chatter to it since I got the car at 26k so hopefully I’m not due soon. But then again I don’t beat on the clutch too much, and the Cavalier isn’t exactly putting down monster power.

am i the only one that thinks 50k on a clutch is way too little? i have well over 100k on the clutch in my daily, doesn’t slip a bit and grabs really high.

That’s what I’m saying! I know plenty of people who go 100k and up on stock clutches. I know someone with 130k on a diesel Jetta on the original, and it’s used to drive from Greentree to Pitt everyday. My friend’s beat-to-hell 626 had 149k on the original before he wrecked it. Hell, my old Integra had 87k on it when I sold it, original clutch and it was used to teach two people how to drive stick. Kid who bought it still drives it with no problems at 100+k.

48k is just way too short to be going. Yes, I am somewhat aggressive, but I was on the teg too.

:dunno: