SR20det Big Build 500+rwhp

hey everyone im looking for some help right now im making around 350whp and i heard that the internal of the sr20 can only handle up to 450whp, so im looking in need of info on what internal do i need to run 500+hp, well im looking into just a lil bit more like 520rwhp.??

btw how much can the bottom end of the sr20 handle

i know what turbo im getting, im going to get racing valve springs, bigger pistons, and run 600-750cc injectors, and trust oil pan and trying to run at least at the 8k rpm, is there anything else that i would need to do to get to my goal

Thank
Ryan

Posting in the introduction thread would be a good start… Welcome btw.

^x2 but you will need arp head bolts,crank bearsing replaced upgradee all of those bolt and studs as they are what hold the engine together if not already done and make sure you have a intercooler that can handle the power becuase alot of people forget to upgrade intercoolers and blow pips gasket etc., use the search bar in the top right corner there are hundreds of informational threads

1st off you need somewhere around 850cc injecters for you goal but i personally would just go with 1000cc.
tuning and your tuner is key especially at those power levels so get a full standalone ecu AEM,VIPEC,etc and get this thing tuned very conservative(somewhat on the rich side) i dont see why a healthy stock block SR shouldnt hold up to 500+whp on a GOOD tune

my OPINION is to wild out on ur head,crazy port n polish job,valves,springs,retainers and cams.then slap on arp head studs and a good metal head gasket. i am a guy that takes alot of chances and id be curious to see how long my bottom end would hold up lol especially if your already making 350whp as you said above so id leave it alone BUT build a spare on the side lol. boost is like drugs might it feel good but bad for ur motor so choose your turbo wisely some make power more easily and more consistant than others. try not to use a turbo where you got to run very high boost to make your hp goal,ur turbo and motor will last longer too. everything else is obvious a good flowing intercooler,exhaust ect.

RUN A METH KIT and learn how it works and how to maintain it, very easy,aquamist is a good brand. other than that keep it simple and you`ll make power good luck

DA 1 and i agree on most engine related subjects. As an engine builder myself I know from experience to over build for your goal and not have to worry ever. Since I have and some other people have made well over 500hp this is what I would do and you should to if your budget will let you. (If your budget isn’t going to let you build for 500hp then don’t build for it or you will be out of a motor in no time at all.)

I would put the following into my cylender head:
Brian Crower 264 cams
Brian Crower Spring kit with titanium caps
Good stock sized aftermarket valves
Jim Wolf bronze valve guides
Lightened swirle polished valves
3angle valve job
Stock OEM valve seals
Solid lifters
RAS whatever manufacture
Good metal head gasket
Blue print the ports to factory gaskets
Port (flow) the head behind the valve to smooth out intake and exhaust flow

Block internals:
OEM sized clevite main and rod bearings
ARP main, rod, and head studs
Eagle or any other “H” beam forged rods
Forged 8.8:1 comp pistons to alow the engine to last
Good turbo rings (won’t list what i use)
New oil OE oil pump if needed (I would any way)
Greedy oil pan or any cheaper knock off with same design

Fuel components:
255 or more lph in tank or extenal (your choice) pump
One of my large filter systems with guage to monitor for clogs
Top feed rail
Aftermarket FPR with boost sensative adjustments
850cc (I would just go 1000cc) injectors

Ignition components:
You can go aftermarket OE working coil packs like split fire and spend out your ass
I would go MSD Blaster coils with wires and NGK Iridium plugs
MSD SCI or 4AL box

Induction/Turbo system:
Greedy intake or cheap knock off. Your choice 100%. I would go Garrett GT30r to get the instant response. That will get you there no problem. As for turbo mani and wate gate. I will not tell my secrets. You need to do your own research there!

ECU: Go with AEM for this build. Go big or go home!! You can go with somthing else but this has all the features and is limitless to your settings. I would go somthing else, but again i won’t give up my secrets!! I hope this helps you. This list is going to cost probably way to much for you. (not implying anything there) This is the price of going fast and lasting to go fast for years to come without any malfuctions (unless your motor builder doesn’t know what he is doing) Engines last due to the user being smart and the engine builder taking pride in what they do. Thats why an SRI Motorsports engine builds are the way to go!!! (little chuckle to myself there). Good luck and all you can do now is research your options according to your wallet size!! Happy building.

hey peter you just built this guy a typographic motor lol… A+++ you made 500+whp even with secrets now thats an art lol.
Everyone wants 500whp but like you said its not cheap.

Making 500+ would be easy… the only thing you really need is RPM.

I made 441rwhp on a stock block sr20det revving to 7k. If I had rev’d to 8k, and assuming my engine could flow enough to keep tq constant, I would have made 504rwhp. That’s how important 1,000rpm is = 60+hp

Sadly though, increased RPM brings exponentially more engine stress, but to build for that extra 1,000rpm would not be too tricky.

As DA1 suggested, I’d work on the head to make sure tq could carry to redline. The rest is just math.

Uhhh… 850cc injectors for 500WHP eh… WOW you guys are quality engine builders… you make HP out of pure air.

Good job guys!

LOL

You need 1000+ injectors to even come CLOSE to a safe amount of fuel for 500whp on an SR.

This is what I do!!! 1000rpm makes a big difference. You can make 500whp without doing what I formentioned but make it last is another issue. I would leave stock block to keep cost down but do a fully built head with solid lifters for 8000rpm and RAS. Work on your fuel delivery and fuel timing, and ignition timing with a bit more boost within your turbo’s peek flowing amount and you should be there. Flow is power. Not huge ports, unless you go big everything. Allow the stock head to flow more will make all the difference. Give me your head now and let me go to work on it and I can promise with proper ignition and fuel you will have in around 100whp gains with a good valve job, blue printing ports, flow behind the valves and intake splitter only!!

this guy hasnt even bothered to respond to this thread…lol

forget 500whp… totally useless on a 240sx IMHO… that’s dyno-queen shit.

if you want a drag car buy a supra… 500hp is nothing on a 2J and probably cheaper than trying to get it out of an SR20.

bing he is probably trying to digest all this stuff lol.

what injector duty r we working with here? i dont think hed be making 500whp on pump gas.with 850cc its definatelly possible on race gas,but on my own car i would run the 1000cc at bare minimum

hey thanks for all the info everyone, i was actually going to go with like around 750cc injectors, which i thought would do it, and i know it’s good to build this motor past my expectations

im actually not going to drive the car much, just building it big untill my record goes down, i’ve been stupid in the past and many other younger guys not so much the older ones, but then realize the money lol.
This car will be building but not quick as like everyone knows money is always a problem so alot of work will done done and done right it’s just time and money.

btw what the highest kind of race gas would i run if i go 1000cc injectors or even around 900cc’s, im really looking into 100-104 octane and then on regular street running minimum 91 octane

well i am going to get connecting rods but i want to know if the crankshaft will do for what i want, and for the turbo i was thinking of garrett gt30

you sound clueless for some1 trying to make that kind of power,do your research thats the fun part of putting together your own car,that way you can have your own secrets and combinations… we`ve done our part and given you more than a wealth of info.

your currently making 350WHP …

Your crank will be more than fine. I agree with Bing as well. If you are truely set on 4 cyl SR then do it, but an inline 6 will make it without any hesitation or stress. Thats why I built an RB26. I am out of SR tuning i think for a bit. I made huge power and put the motor through hell. Still runs the same as the first day fired but how long will the little guy hold. So far 3 years. Plan to sell the motor to some one who will appreciate it more than I. I want more cyl, less stress, same power.

I am intrested to know what setup you have currently to make 350whp. Why go more? If you have the knoledge to make 350 then why ask how to make 150 more?? Should be a easy solution for you. I honestly think you should save telling me your setup. I and everyone else (mostly DA 1 and I to my knoledge for people involved here) know what it takes to make 350whp on a SR. We don’t want BS. We know that if you have knoledge to make 350whp, you know what it takes to make 500 and what the SR internals can take!! My .02. Sorry for the harshness…Something just isn’t right with this thread info regarding what your making now hp wise and what you want to make. Again…my appologies in advance

ok well i have knowledge and first of all i didn’t built this sr to make 350hp

i currently have stock internals
gtr fuel pump
full trust intercooler
FPR
Racing battery
hks evc
turbo timer
full 3inch exhaust
nismo clutch
nismo lsd
upgraded hks gt ball bearing turbo

i saw the test sheet that i wish i had and right now i need bigger injectors for more power but since my record is totaly f**ked i just have to tow it to the shop to do work

well for now im planning for 400whp with this current turbo or just get a bigger upgraded turbo, then do all the internal work, and i already got down some internals for the 500+build but i wanted to know if i was missing anything and wanted ppl who knew more about these engines so i would know that im going in the right direction

haha thats my old car… u dont really need 500hp… it’s fast already.
btw… it was running 440cc injectors. :slight_smile:

and if u want to sell the turbo i will buy it back