Sti vs. Evo

if you want to get down to the nitty gritty… the STI has a better interior, cruise, 6 speaker stereo with a 6 disk cd changer.

If I could change anything as far as the interior goes, I would want the JDM sti seats. The US ones are made for big americans lol.

BUT the Evolution is cheaper and you could use the extra money to buy a stereo.

whats the price diff between the 2??

I know i looked at a 04 or 05 sti and it was 33K. how much are evo’s?

depends on which evo… they can get up more than 33k

Evo IX MR MSRP is 36,000+
I’m sure Mitsu is offering enough incentives to take that way down though. Thats what you get when a company is floundering.

Jarrod got his evo9 in philly for like 200 more than my car. The key is don’t buy it here.

Actually, this is a great time to buy a car. They '07s are coming out. My friend bought an '05 at this time last year with the SSL package for under $30k with 0% financing.

Having had both, I agree with everyone who has said that the STI is the better DD and the evo is better for modding.

I bought mine in sept. of last year, got the 0% financing and a great price on the car/trade-in. Thats why I have an evo, subaru could not come close to that kind of deal :tup:

Jeller

Evo

Perfect, a guy who has had both.
Why is the STI a better daily?

Cruise control. Nicer interior. More displacement with a smaller turbo. Better service in the area. That is why it is a better daily. I can’t say that I feel the same way about it on the track.

also, smoother power delivery.

i’v drivin in my frirends sti and it seems somewhat tame for just driving around- they do sound BA too… thats why im going for a wrx- cant afford an STi /Evo:(

Just to reiterate:

STi for a DD
Evo for a racer/modder.

Both would would do a DD or racer/modder role fine, but each is a little better than the other in their particular category.

Very well put. I found the same thing after driving both and I think Tevenor would agree after autoxing in both cars. I prefer the STi but you have to drive it like it’s a Subaru…and by that I pretty much mean pretend you’re on dirt. :slight_smile: At autox the STi should own the Evo, and it has been in stock class, but on a road course with lots of long sweeping turns the Evo (in factory form) seems to track that sort of corner better.

The brakes are the same and the suspension rides relatively similar. I think the main difference in handling comes from the center diffs. The STi’s center diff, I feel, is far superior in loose conditions. It uses g sensors mounted throughout the car as well as monitoring steering angle and throttle input to basically make the car go where you point it when you have the diff in auto mode. It works shockingly well. You can also set the front/rear split manually or lock the center diff.

I like the STi interior better aside from the fitment of the front seats and the sun and sound package Evo has a very nice factory sound system. The Evo 9 suede seats are excellent.

I prefer a 5 speed to a 6 speed so I give that to the non-mr Evo.

On the stock turbo you can definitely get more top end power out of the Evo since they come with a more efficient turbo from the factory. Similar bolt on options are available for both…16g, 18g, 20g, etc.

As far as reliability and durability go, from 05 up both cars are very tough from the factory. Mitsu beefed up the tranny and transfer case and both cars have gone 9’s on stock drivelines. So far from what I’ve seen the Evo doesn’t have the typical Mitsu quality issues that have given them a bad name.

All truth.
I realized that interiors don’t mean much to me when I purchased the Evolution because everyone said, “It is from a $14,00 car and looks cheap”.
The only time I pay any attention to interior is at a stoplight.
As long as it doesn’t fall apart it is good enough for me. :biglaugh:
The Suby is nicer though.

Wow, I didn’t know there was that much going on in there.

What would you rather have.

Evo or a Sti.

Pros and cons of both

theres a 04 sti with 65000 on it for 21k (this is at a dealer)

or a 03 evo 8 with 27000 on it for 19.k (this is a private seller)

What would you choose, and what would be cheaper on insurance.

I always liked the evos better, but as of late i want a Sti

I’m rather partial to the Sti just because i can’t help but find the sound of that motor to be the sexiest thing ever…and i honestly think they’re beautiful cars…

but if in your case, the Evo hands down…less than half the miles, and still a few grand cheaper…definitely…

and i dont know much about either car aftermarket wise, but it seems like the aftermarket is a lot bigger for Evo’s and they’re a lot easier to make faster…