Sti vs. Evo

and drive a piece of shit for what, like 5 months of buffalo winter? no thanks, i’d rather spend $$ on a car and drive it year round

pics…

of your mom?

buy my '04 STI with less miles for less money?!?!

I’m partial to the STI. For me, the EVO has too many gadgets that correct your mistakes as a driver. If its going to be a track car, then how are you ever supposed to learn if the car is constantly correcting your bad inputs? To me, the STI’s mentality is, “Here’s gobs of power - do with it what you want.” The EVO is more like, “Oh, wait, you don’t mean to do that, so I will correct a little and keep you going this way.” Sometimes you want the car to do something silly.

And besides, Mitsubishi may not be around in a few years…

I’ve driven both, and I like the STi better. I also prefer the STi styling to the Evo.

In this case the price vs. mileage the Evo seems like a better deal.

Do some research, Nasioc and whatever Evo forums are out there. Find out what year you want, if you plan to mod, etc.

Are these your only choices?

I vote for ///M Coupe.

WTF are you talking about… name one of those gadgets?

I thought one think everybody agreed on was that the evo is a much more raw car with a more direct feel (better steering rack etc) and less options.

there are ZERO driving aids.

AYC, ACD, AWC - now I realize that these are not available on all models (and the ayc isn’t on the us version), but when you compare track times, you have to be careful that that specific EVO isn’t retrofitted with it, or in the case of Top Gear tests, it isn’t standard on that version.

Above all - it’s driver preference. Drive them both and pick which one you like.

AYC = no in US
ACD = worse then the STi version (not even available on my year)
AWC = also not in the US

so I have none of those.

I’d go with the STi, for durability. My STi has been awesome, and compared to my friend’s EVO VIII it’s been much more reliable. Actually, I haven’t heard of a STi locally that’s had drive train trouble, including Newmans 35R car. Stock turbo vs stock turbo the cars perform the same. I think for small turbo upgrades, the Evo is cheaper, but if you get serious (500 whp) the supporting mods for the Evo make it way more expensive, and the reliability goes out the window.

The insurance on the STi is cheap. I pay 700/year, I guess because it shares many body parts with the Impreza and WRX I guess it’s cheap to fix.

ill have a 500whp evo come spring and it will be just as reliable as it was this year…

its going to cost a lot in both cars to get 500whp. either of these cars it comes down to preference, u wont know which one is for u untill u drive both of them

personally I like the idea of setting my diff to what I want it, and not having it change at all, seems the STI has more adjustability in that area

tho never driving an evo, I do love my STI…as far as looks, i prefer the scooby

Do you want FWD with AWD tacked on, or real AWD?

Simple question, simple answer.

STI FTW!

If you plan on modding get an 05+ Evo. If you want a DD get an STI.

The only thing I would stay away from is an 03,04 Evo. They don’t have ACD or front LSD’s. Not to mention the gearbox and TC is much weaker in the 03.

You can’t make those claims till it actually happens. Not that you will have a shitty build but 500whp can lead to problems.

As far as the choice between the 2… I love my sti its backed by subaru which is IMO alot better than being backed by mitsubishi.

You can’t make those claims till it actually happens. Not that you will have a shitty build but 500whp can lead to problems.

As far as the choice between the 2… I love my sti its backed by subaru which is IMO alot better than being backed by mitsubishi.

In all honesty, everyone and their mother runs a 500hp 35R setup safely on the evo. The 4G63 is a VERY VERY strong platform. The only way it wouldn’t run right is if it isn’t installed or tuned right. That is obviously not the case here…

i’ve been in newmans… minus the cage of course, i think the interior is sweet. i’d love to have one of those for a DD. def a car i’d buy.

Springtime, I’m thinking an STi.

Honestly.

08? <3 U

Yeah, but it depends on a couple things financially. Either way, as soon as it’s humanly possible I’m going to try and step into an 06 STi.

Its a good choice. The diffs are fucking uper fun to play with in the snow, which is another advantage over the evo. The rear biased awd is sweet and all but the dccd has a whole slew of manual settings not just tarmac gravel and snow…