The start of My LS1 swap :)

here is the engine that I bought, its a 2002 LS1

so the engine swap begins soon, I have to scrounge some parts, and pull my turbo motor and then sell off all its bits and pieces.

http://www.turbo240sx.ca/HPIM0562.JPG

In!

Congrats!

Now you’ll have to change your sig to something witty with LS1 in it. :lol:

Geez that block looks nice and clean…

Give me a shout if you need a hand at all Adam.
I can’t wait to see the motor :smiley:

Andrew.

hmm seams pretty sexy, whats the weight difference between in and a ka?

ls1 w/ 6-speed = 124lbs lighter than ka24de w/ 5spd

Thats crazy, should be allot of fun. Any chance that you are going to put a BLOWER on it?

where you’d get your engine and various parts and what not?

wow the weight difference is crazy…how do u modify the engine mounts and drivetrain for that engine?

Odds are he’ll use a motor plate. Easiest way to get motor X into chassis Y, especially for a race car. It’s basically a machined aluminum (or steel) plate that you sandwich between the water pump and block. It has cut-to-fit ears (unless it’s application specific) that you weld/bolt to your frame rails in the front. Depends I guess on whether or not his class will allow them.

http://www.mjproformance.com/BRUSHED%20MOTOR%20PLATE.JPG

If not, making mounts is really not that hard, especially if you plan to solid mount the engine and tranny. When we made the mounts for the 289/302 300zx, all we did was lower the engine and tranny into the car, use a jack stand to locate the tranny and get the right pinion angle. Once everything was where it needed to be, it was really easy to see what was needed. Made cardboard mounts first, then made them out of angle iron, triangulated for strength.

LS1 is an awesome motor. No need for a blower or turbos. With cams and a good tune, you can squeeze 500+ NA ponies out of it on pump gas.

More power than his turbo car (if he wants to go that route), better throttle response, better reliability … makes perfect sense.

No matter how many times you tell people, they just won’t accept that V8s aren’t necessarily as heavy as everyone thinks. A small block Ford motor takes up less room corner to corner than an SR.

When we put the 289/302 into the 300ZX, the front end came up a good 3 inches over stock.

How low will that motor sit? I’ve seen one guys S14 with a corvette motor and the motor was sitting way too low for some reason…

The LS1 is a tall motor.

Odds are they set it that low to keep a sleeper hood profile.

The motor will sit as low as ADAM makes it sit.

man thats crazy, this makes me wanna go ls1…what about wiring it cant be all the hard to right? im unsure of ls1’s but is it fuel injected? this seams like an awesome option for people who want a fast car

Dont want to sound like a newb and all…but what is the great thing about an LS1 motor? Which car does it come from? What are peoples opinions? And yeh I could search, but I am more interested to have someone just tell me the idea behind this type of swap…

Don’t be a twat, why else would someone swap a bigger engine in their car? google will tell you that an LS1 is a Corvette motor. Not hard…

Adam, I thought the screamer pipe sounded cool, can’t imagine this thing!

LS1 is Camaro, Firebird and Corvette I believe

Don’t forget Impalla SS (like 92 to 96 or something)

nah, those are LT1s :wink:

Dammit… I figured I’d be wrong sooner or later… geez, I’ll delete mine if you delete yours with the quote… hah j/k.

btw I remember, now that you correct me. :oops:

Wow this is going to be an interesting swap, how much did it cost?