track car transportation?

hey,

just wondering how you guys get you track cars to and from the track. do you have them insured and registered? do you have a trailer? is it your daily car? i cant decide which way i want to go about doing this myself, dont really want to keep my track car street legal.

How often do you plan on taking it to the track? Is it going to be a weekly thing, or just a few times a season type thing?

i plan on going as much as i can hopefully every week

I’ve been thinking about that too - I insured my car for fire and theft once it passed safety, as long as it has a catalytic while on the road, its good to go. However if the cars been safetied, but insurance was completely taken off, it needs to be safetied again for the insurance company.

Then honestly your probably best off getting a truck as your DD and buying a car trailer. Hell, even a tow dolly will do if you throw some quick releases on your front bumper.

You just have to decide whats more economical for you. Keep it on the road, pay ~1000 a year to insure it, and work around doing clearly illegal mods that will get you picked out on the way to the track. Buy a truck as a DD, suck up the extra gas cost, and pay an initial 1000-4000 for a dolly/trailer. Or Go rent a Uhaul Truck and trailer everytime your go ($150 or more).

even if you track every weekend, do u plan on actually going through and stripping it apart to the extent that it will not be road legal. Like take out heater, emissions and all that, if not i would say drive it to track.

see living in toronto we get fucked because the track inst at the skydome or in mississauga 25 min away… its almost 2 hours away and a 200 dollar tow… soooo realistically, unless you think you have an absolute bullet proof car, and or you dont plan to take your car to its limits… dont track your car every week… there are some pro drivers out there who spend minimum 2k a track day… thats the average to them, tires lets say a good track day you go threw 4 tires… and who knows what you can break, hit, burn etc…

what ever you do just be careful and make sure you have a good way home and a good way to work the next day -

Uhaul only costs 55 bucks for 24 hours, fyi.

I always just rent a trailer. This year I will have my own truck/trailer… daily-ing your car to the track SUCKS. Did it to shannonville last year. Longest drive home ever.

I used to drive my 240 to all the drift events. Untill I rubbed through my harness at the track and my car caught fire on the drive home, if it wasn’t for my buddies CAA I would have been looking at 200-250 dollars for a tow. Moral of the story buy a solid truck and rent a trailer. Hitchman trailers in grimbsy charges 50 bucks. Nothing beats the feeling of having a reliable way home after beating the shit out of your car.

Cody
S1DC

I drive mine everywhere…just have to take extra care of evetrything to make the drive there and back…build stuff releable…if you wanna drive to and from the track and drift…its easyer with a truck and trailer but if you dont have acess to that stuff (like me) then dont cheap out on stuff and drive back and forth lol
oh and get CAA gold in case…
ideal though get a truck and trailer of corse…if you have the $$

yea, i think ill go with a truck / rent a trailer for this year. looking at getting a gmc sierra. really cheap right now. :slight_smile:

What makes your car a “track car” ?
Does it have a full roll cage and 6-point harnesses?
Is it a street car that you like to drive around the track?

Obviously if the cars main purpose is to be a weekend toy it is a lot nicer to have a trailer for it.

Also, what are you doing with the car at the track?

If you are just lapping it and the car is street legal then obviously there is no nead to trailer it.

Is this car a purpose built vehicle? time attack? drifting? wheel to wheel racing?
If it is then yes, a trailer would probably be your way to go.

^ I actually have a 2008 Miska Deluxe Car Hauler for sale.

PM me if you are interested in that.

well the car is in the process of being built is (already not street legal), as i just got it. but i would really like to put a roll cage ect in it. want to do a full build, been my dream for a while. as for type of racing, to be honest i am into all types and am looking to build a good all around car to start, and try to compete in local event by mid season then decide where i want to go from there. i may try to get it on the road to drive to and from events, just having a hell of a time convincing insurance to take me. they keep bringing up street racing. this is why i thought a truck / trailer would be best. dont really want to buy one now tho

Well if its not caged it is really up to you what you want to do.

It is still obviously nice to not have to worry about getting insurance and dealing with police questioning the vehicle, not to mention a reliable way home from the track.

I’m not sure what is done to your car and what it looks like so it is hard for me to put my input in

how can you “build” a car without having a real purpose, that was my biggest hump in the road when i started my kouki, if you cant decide what type of driving you want to do you will never end up tracking your car let alone buying a trailer. If you making an all around good car that can do many events, just daily drive it. like dave said if you dont have a purpose build track car its not a track car, no need to trailer.

Agree with Chad and Dave. If it isn’t a purpose built track car than it isn’t a track car. There’s lots of things that people want, but until you get it, then continue to daily driver it. (specifically roll cage)

You wouldn’t want to be daily driving with a full roll cage in your car as that would be dangerous. Depending on where you live and the conditions of the road.

Tow it…

So nice to not have to worry about how you get home if/when you hurt the car.

http://www.u2ndyno.com/gallery/Project%20S14%202008/o_The%20Team.jpg

^ Ballinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

haha dream set up right there. im gunna drive my car to and from the track for the first part of the season. then pick up a truck trailer setup mid season. as i need a new DD for winter.

chad : i dont see why a mildly built car in canada has to only be used in one type of racing, looking to just do alot of track days to start and events mid season to end of season . im putting a cage in my car and building it up for high HP, guess i should say mild build but no way would i like to drive this every day… no reason that cant compete in drift events / time attack events which are being held in canada.

thanks for the replys