Track Prepping my MKIV GTi

are you KIDDING ME greg? you’re advocating he use a harness with an anti-sub belt without a cage? on the track? … I’d have thought you knew better. It won’t be so fun when his spine becomes the supporting member of the roof since the anti-sub belts will keep him from moving forward :smash2:

^ yeah, your head becoming the roll bar is not a good plan at all.

I thought he was only talking about AutoX? I guess I missed the full on road course track time. At that point, you could still use 4 of the points with a harness bar on the track. No anti-sub containment in that scenario.

Oh, and on the AutoX note. Dont worry about PAX, it’s a retarded multiplier for crazy AutoX folks. Just worry about your RAW time. PAX is ghey.

Get some decent brake pads, change your brake fluid, and a good set of tires. Buy a portable air compressor, and make sure all mechanical parts are in good working order, including a battery tie down.

The rest is all learning to drive as you’ll be clueless at first. I still suck at auto-x and have done numerous events.

I’ve seen cars get scary close to being upside down at autocrosses. Considering how little room most people have inside a small car when the put a helmet on even a little roof deflection is going to be bad for your neck if you’re in a full harness.

Yeah, if you just look at RAW you can feel a lot better about getting beat in PAX by a stock Neon with your turbo 350z. “My car is 10x faster, and I beat him by .00003% in RAW time, I am the most awesomest driver ever.” :wink:

Yeah, if you just look at RAW you can feel a lot better about getting beat in PAX by a stock Neon with your turbo 350z. “My car is 10x faster, and I beat him by .00003% in RAW time, I am the most awesomest driver ever.” :wink:

There’s a guy about 4 doors down from me right now who came to work in a shiny new Mustang after the insurance totalled his car when it rolled during an autocross.

It’s not my car, it’s not built for AutoX like most of the Neon people that show up, and I guarantee I was having the most fun of anyone there.

Was that at NCCC early last summer? If so then that was my first event and I’m thinking that this giddy n00b was having just as much fun plowing around the course in a Jetta. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I know, I’m just busting on you. I was actually glad I wasn’t as involved with autocrossing that day because if I was I probably would have been the safety steward who had to go give you the, “this isn’t a drift event” talk. I always had trouble doing that talk since I regularly went through the timing lights sideways.

“Do as I say, not as I do.”

See? It’s easy. Shit, you’re a dad. I figured you’d have that one mastered.

It’s cool, today has just been very :tantrum: for me.

Yes Fry, that was the same event, me in dmoffitt’s car.

Or for reference, here is my line in Cleatus’ 510 exactly 1 year before that.

Says everybody with an underprepared car… :tantrum:

Actually it just came out today: http://scca.org/documents/Solo%20Rules/2008_Solo_Rules_2.pdf

I’ll update the sticky.

LOL, Awesome pics!

going on straight raw time is stupid, you cant compare an N/A 2.0 beetle to a lotus elise and then deduce that the faster person(car) is the better driver. but then again i like comparing when i beat STi’s in the beetle, thru raw time… that was funny

I never compared my times to other drivers because I couldn’t drive the MR2 for shit, and was horrible compared to many others. I just always took my times and tried to improve on them each run and go as fast as I personally could.

It’s all fun for me, and a learning experience each time.

This thread reminds me to order my fucking roll bar already…
I always found it a little funny, I can run with no roll bar or an scca compliant roll bar.
But a non-scca complaint roll bar installed means I can’t run. boo.