Turbo for s13

how much would it roughly cost me to turbo my stock s13 , and what other applications would i need to do the project? i want to get the most hp/tp out of this stock ka, what would it cost for me to do this project , and since im new to the turbo setups and all that im going to want someone to do it , thanks :smiley:

pretty broad question to ask. To narrow it down so that people can give you a reasonable answer, " what do you want to end up with when you get back in the car and drive itā€¦ " is there a specific end result you want? HP, drivability on city streets, drifting or track use ? ā€¦

There is such a broad range of turbos, setups and price considerations to make regarding quality and finishā€¦ AS a pure performance fabricator I make as much of the component side as possibleā€¦ This involves working with the customer to give them what they wantā€¦ and it requires the customer to work with meā€¦ On the other side of the coin and the most common scenario in Ontario is the ā€™ PnPā€™ or catalouge reseller/installer. this gives you a bolt on application that has all the ā€™ Tā€™s crossed and Iā€™s dotted. ', what you see and read is what you get. So figure out what type of person you are, Iā€™ve dealt with people who wanted custom work but they couldnā€™t handle the fact that they had to think about cause and effect of thier choices vs. reccomendationsā€¦ and in the end it somethings does cost moreā€¦ but you get something original and if the shop doing the work is proud of their work, a great local warrenty and support for the work.

Think about what you want to end up with, what you want to spend as a general outline ( you may be way off but who never know ), and if yo want a custom one off setup or an off the shelf kit.

for custom one offā€™s you check out some on my websiteā€¦ and Iā€™m sure there are others as well with setups on displayā€¦ ask for references, even if itā€™s an off the shelf kit.

ya i already check your site its pretty good, im mostly going to use it for street use, no drifiting well possibly, but something to boost up the hp then it already has , thanks alot i appreciate it :R

So you want to keep the current engine as is and add a turbo? Itā€™s a pretty pricey thing to get into without doing a fair amount of research before hand.

Like he mentioned, depending on how you want to setup your car, you have a bunch of different options.

plus the KA24de is not reiable, i want a KA-T but most people suggest building the engine up first, (low compression pistons and such) then turbo it.

^^ Dunno about that, I know a few stock block KA-Ts that have been running fine for years.

The overall issue with the KA is that they do last along time if your not going crazy in the 240, as such youā€™ve got motors out there that are 300K+ old and never been rebuilt. As with any engine thatā€™s been well used, things get sloppy and thats what makes them unreliable. Not the fact that your turbo charging the engine. Common sense does dictate that if your not making power, your compression is low, youā€™ve got tappingā€¦ ect., then of course, rebuild the motor.

But ultimately itā€™s up to the customer to decide if they want it rebuilt or not. :wink:

Well said Ian.

I wanted to do it as ā€œrightā€ as possible, but only wanted low boost (5-7 PSI). I bet thatā€™ll keep you happy anyway, if you just want to add some power. It actually makes the car a bit quicker than you might think on low boost.

Anyway, hereā€™s a brief look at how things added up in my case (was all part of my plan though lol):

ā€“ IAP Turbo Kit $2500 + 300 import costs
ā€“ Turbo kit installed at a shop $700 (they did a lot of good custom work, but a lot of people bypass this)
ā€“ FMU - $100
ā€“ Boost/AF Gauge - $200
ā€“ ACT stage 1 clutch & lightened flywheel + install (to handle extra power) - $1100
ā€“ Exhaust system - Approx $300

Thereā€™s more iā€™m sureā€¦and iā€™m sure you could skip steps or go cheaper than I did, but you get the idea.

Youā€™ve also got to consider brake/suspension upgrades and/or an alarm system etc etc!

Below 10 PSI and with any decent AF ratio under boost and a decent-shape engine (check compression!), you should be able to run the stock engine without issue.

So as people above are saying, decide what you want and do some research to see how feasible itā€™d beā€¦

Good luck.

thanks alot guys i appreciate it, ya im doing some research, some ppl said t25 turbo is a cheap setup or something, all im planning when im done is to pull at least 250 hp outta the thing, right now it has 177,000 on it which is pretty low and its being taken care off but if i have to change stock internals i will

T25 is way too small for a 2.4L motor. youā€™ll get some good low end but nothing at the high mid range and up. Minimum of a T28 ( GTP trim) for a 2.4L.

Ford/SAAB/Volvo/GM/Renaultā€¦ ect. all choose T03b based turbos for there 2.0L -2.3L motors. Producing solid power across the whole powerband. You can get a used T25 turbo that will cost you~$300 but to do a rebuild, ( which is VERY advised with ANY used turbo ), your looking at over $500 if you need to replace a turbine or housing. Since 90% of all T2x based turbos in North america are Nissan based, your working with a limited supply of parts which inflates the cost of everything. T3 based turbos are very common and a ā€˜longā€™ rebuild kit whih is everything but the CHRA and housings is worth less then the cost of a used T25. A new T03b in any trim with Int. WG and water jacket is worth less then $600ā€¦ with a warrenty. So, friends donā€™t always have a clue what is or is not the right partā€¦ most of the time people will follow what is said on fourms by members who have no clue what they are saying, repeating what someone else uttered without a clueā€¦

I think almost everyone who has posted in this thread has direct experience with what they are talking about.

With that said, I think there is a lot of useful information being posted here.

I would run a T3 or larger turbo as well, as previously mentioned, cost and availability is much better and a T3 will flow more air which will result in higher HP at lower boost levels.

true but now i got a few questions and im a noob when it comes to cars:confused:
Iā€™m thinking about boosting my altima next summer hoping to get it into low 14s so thats about 220 whp I guess what setup would cheapest and get most power out of it? I paid $5000 for the car so Iā€™m not gonna invest more than $2000 and thats for the parts I got some1 who will help me build it for almost free lol

thats the rub, you get what you pay for, you made a 5K investment in the carā€¦ are you prepared to potentially blow the engine with a shoddy turbo kit?

this is the 14th commandment-( ā€œright after thou shall not snort wasabiā€ and the always applicable " never go home with a girl with an adams appleā€¦"

14th commandment, states that; " cheaping out on car tuning todayā€¦ is a good way to spend MORE money tomorrow." ,( replacing all the other things you wreck when those part(s)ā€¦ fail. )

newā€¦ $2000 will cover turbo/IC/EMS/bov and maybe feed lines and guagesā€¦

usedā€¦ well used turbo parts are always a crap shoot. not something I trust my car nor my customers cars tooā€¦ however your call.

wasnā€™t directed at this thread in particular, more towards the endless number of nameless ā€™ buddiesā€™ that seem to come up with horrid info/advice for their friendsā€¦

tnx i guess
now back to the topic
http://www.turbo-kits.com/240SX_turbo_kits.html so yeah about $3500 nah ill just spray it 100 shot nawzzz about $600 and a blown engine lol

ā€¦ that was $3500us ( 240 stage I) without install and without any form of fuel or ignition control. Pretty avg. price for a kit actually.

You could juice the car, but N2O is illegal on the street and turbos are not. Crushed car, or save your dinars for a few months more to get a solid kit done.

this is the 14th commandment-( ā€œright after thou shall not snort wasabiā€ and the always applicable " never go home with a girl with an adams appleā€¦"

did anyone esle die laughing at this? i thought it was pretty funny.

for this price you could have us do a sr20det with front mount, custom pipes, new water pump, thermostat, all new belts and a clutch, bov etc. also you have a motor that will be 10 times more adaptable to upgrades not one that is at its limit at 7 LBS of boost.

so SR20 Blacktop (S14) - $3000 thats for the engine installed? now i just need a 240sx to drop it in :S