Which GPS?

The little woman got a career-type job where she’ll be making home visits all over the greater Buffalo area. So she’s going to get herself an in-car GPS.

She’s pretty good with electronics so it doesn’t have to be dumbed-down style user friendly. Figure under $300, but if there’s a compelling reason to shell out more than that it’s a possibility.

So what GPS should she get? Make/model? Why?

I have the tomtom one. You can get it for $300 at circuitcity. It’s very easy to use and useable out of the box

I just got the garmin 350 from amazon for $400 shipped. I was looking at the 660 for close to $700 for its bigger screen and brighter display. But all in all, i’m very happy with this lil guy. You don’t really need to look at the GPS once you have the addy setup. This one voices the road you need to turn on in addition to the direction. Its basically set it and forget it. One you punch in the addy it takes 2 seconds to map it out, and if you mis a turn it recalculates very fast. The antenna picks up 20-30+ satellites almost immediately. Highly recommend.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot 330c and it is great. See JAbbu’s comments.

You can find them all over now for about $270.

Works in Canada too :slight_smile:

And the best part is when someone is in the passenger seat and starts trying to make stupid Tom-Tom jokes you can backhand them and feel good about it. :wink:

I think she’s going to go with the Garmin C340. Same as the 330 plus text-to-speech so it can say street names. $350 at Worst Buy right now. :gotme:

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp340/

c340 is at amazon for $320 free ship
and the c330 is $260 free ship
No taxes…

Buy it local for $350 you’ll pay close to $380 with taxes.

I used a 330 on my trip back from NC when I bought my GTO and it was great. Fast to update, great if you misseda turn, funny British accent if you played with the settings. However, it did send me up the 219 and I know looking at google maps there was a better route. It even sent me on some little two lane twisty road over a mountain in PA. Lots of fun in a new GTO, but again, probably not the best route.

[quote=“JayS,post:7,topic:26962"”]

. However, it did send me up the 219 and I know looking at google maps there was a better route. It even sent me on some little two lane twisty road over a mountain in PA. Lots of fun in a new GTO, but again, probably not the best route.

[/quote]

You have to change how it looks for routes in the settings. Sometimes “fastest route” will do things like that. Change the mode, or even better plot route with “pass through” or via points, that way you can avoid that.

[quote=“jabbu,post:6,topic:26962"”]

c340 is at amazon for $320 free ship
and the c330 is $260 free ship
No taxes…

Buy it local for $350 you’ll pay close to $380 with taxes.

[/quote]

Aaaaaaaaaand I owe you a beer! :beer2:

[quote=“auttiquattro,post:2,topic:26962"”]

I have the tomtom one. You can get it for $300 at circuitcity. It’s very easy to use and useable out of the box

[/quote]

Just Picked up the Tomtom One yesterday… plugged it in at bestbuy…2 min later it was programmed… Simple to Use… Compact… The Display is easy to follow… 300$ well spent

I have the Mio digi walker C310x

I’m thinking about getting the Garmin StreetPilot c340 for x-mas. My mom suggested GPS and someone she works with said this model is a great bang for your buck. Anyone have more info about it??

i suggest getting a gps that talks to you - ie: tells you to turn on “xx” street

it helps when your in an unfamiliar area - ie: better than "turn left in 2 miles, then you have to glance your eyes away from the road to see the street.

Does anyone know of a unit where you can map a route of say 10-12 stops on your desktop and then input the route to a GPS unit? Input via say a USB or jumpdrive or something.

Having to input 12 addresses every morning will drive the woman insane.

That’s a feature called “text to speech” which the C340 has. My wife has had the C340 since April and it’s never let her down. Automatic night mode, tons of stored locations (i.e. you can search for the restaurant name if you don’t know the address) etc. Nice little unit.

My Gal Pal bought the Garmin Nuvi 3-- I dont remember the digits. She is far from a tech whiz and moved to a total new city and has had zero trouble getting around.

[quote=“Jagermeister,post:14,topic:26962"”]

Does anyone know of a unit where you can map a route of say 10-12 stops on your desktop and then input the route to a GPS unit? Input via say a USB or jumpdrive or something.

Having to input 12 addresses every morning will drive the woman insane.

[/quote]

waypoints… i think

With the C340 you can store a ton of addresses, then when you leave somewhere just click “favorites” and scroll down to the name you gave to your next stop. Not as good as punching in a 12 stop route, but better than having to type in each location each time.

I have the Garmin Streetpilot 330c. Moved to Jersey and to Vermont after that… lifesaver…no complaints.

my parents just picked up a couple for 150… went down a lot

I just got the mio c520, it has bluetooth (i dont use it), text to speech which is very nice, it tells u the street names instead of just saying turn left. Highly hackable which i like, it uses tele atlas maps instead of navteq, ive heard tele maps arent as updated as navteq, but i havnt seen any difference and everything ive thrown at it is there. I love this thing, its widescreen, 100000 more features than the nuvis, and a hell of alot cheaper.

I was going to get a magellan widescreen but i didnt feel like calling india if i needed help.