DipYourCar.com

Having 14 fucking layers of paint is cheesier than one layer of dip guy.

I completely agree there. There’s a white A4 that recently was removed from my area that was rattle canned white with a rattle canned black hood, roof, and trunk. Ugly as all hell.

I see the pasti dip as a great way to avoid having to redo your rims or parts with a lot of prep. Instead of having to sand off the paint and reprep everything you can just tear it right off, clean the rims, and get to it all over again.

Like I said, my major motivation was to try it. I was curious as hell to see if I could get it to work, especially because I didn’t want to waste 150$ on a vinyl wrap I’d possibly ruin while installing when I could spend 1/2 that to try something literally no one (at least that I could find) has done. I enjoyed the shit out of myself doing it too.

If you’re saying that modding a car should only be in one direction without experimentation and changes you’re in the wrong culture.

There are people who take longer to get a two week paycheck than hold on to a set of wheels.

Most people are never happy with their power setup and want more, just to realize later that more isn’t necessarily what they wanted and dial it back etc.

What’s respected and adult like about operating something like this?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rWrjNnGdwtg/Tce96kxmXcI/AAAAAAAACMs/YSnmQpCBgQ8/s1600/1932-ford-rat-rod.jpg

Cars are out toys/erector sets and modifying them is our medium of playing with them when we are not driving them.

You can’t take it serious.

/\ that’s bad ass.

Lets not talk apples to oranges here Vlad.

Paint. The color of a roof is what we are talking about.

And its an Audi. A nice car. Rattle canning anything on it is somewhat sacrilegious to Audi! lol

If the freedom to put $100 in plastic rattle can on the roof is OK, where does it draw the line? Plastidiping a Bently would still be OK???

/\ i dont see why dipping a bentley would be a problem. if it looks decent that is…

yeah thats fine dude but i think the attraction comes from the fact you can take it back off and some people look at it like being able to rock two different colors annually

If I had a white Bentley I wanted black for the weekend for whatever the reason, hell yes I would.

But speaking of apples to oranges, you’re bringing Bentley’s into this?

I’m trying to figure out where you hold this sacrilegious feelings… cheap wheels not OK on the car? What would be a cheap wheel? $200?500?1,500? a wheel? How about cheap HID’s? $50 or $300?

Who cares what it cost as long as it gets you the result you want. If he wants a black roof and it looks good enough for him to spray it with plastidip?

I’d even argue that a permanent paint on a roof of a different color would be more “sacrilegious” to a high end car then what essentially is spray on vinyl.

:pop

yeah cuz u can just tear it off and you’re back to stock instead of having a painted roof that you realize a few months later… damn that was a bad idea

I get the peel off part.

My ENTIRE battle was there is a right way to get a result and a wrong way. Cost has nothing to do with my point.

wipe the personal preferences and vehicular opinions off the chalk board.

Anything, plastidip or cambodian breast milk, shooting out of a plastic nozzle attached to an aerosol can is NOT designed to cover large surfaces.

The reduced stuff with a REAL paint gun was a step in the right direction. BUT again, as far as I know it was designed to be rolled or brushed, or DIPPED on… not reduced and shot from a gun like real automotive paint.

If the company formulated the stuff to be properly dispensed, applied and cured from a paint gun to cover large surfaces, PROPERLY, fucking yeepie!!!

The thing about being an Audi and being sacrilegious. I for one take pride in everything I put effort into doing. If I work hard to earn my money and buy a nice car, I would be proud of it. Therefor any modifications I would make to it I would want done with as much pride and quality that it took to get the car in the first place.

Ask Jason if he wants me to Plastidip his 3 bumper when it comes in. LOL

This opens up another area where Plasti Dip could be used and applied.

Using rollers AKA “$50” paintjob’s using rollers but not instead, using plastidip.

InB4longassParagrpahsfromKrazykid

LaDuke would be a millionaire! :rofl

Vlad if I ever see you take a paint roller to anything with wheels other than a trailer, I am revoking your privileges as being my car buddy.

anyone want a can or two in white? shipping on this stuff is like $5 per can (or more) unless you buy in bulk. I really need the white for my 3D scanning and its not sold locally anywhere.

It would be $9 per can of white if anyone wants to split a bulk order with me.

I’ll take 2 cans of white.

I wonder how this shit would work with painting a taped off pattern on something

I bet it would work good for that. Since the pattern, say racing numbers or something on the side of a car, would be small in size to get a nice even application even out of the can.

THE ONLY THING. would be the masking. Since the shit would stick to the tape, just as good as the car then you go to peel the masking tape/pin stripe tape&masking tape for your design, i wonder if it will lift the plastidip off the painted surface too? Kind of like when you paint a car with graphics and did a shitty job scuffing the surface, when you go to remove the masking it lifts the paint and fucks up the graphic.

The thicker the application the more the chance you have of lifting the graphics when you peel the tape. What we usually do is carefully take a razor blade and ever so gently cut the edge, between the masking and the painted graphic you are leaving behind. On a permanent graphic this is perfectly OK, since its getting cleared and the slight cut will never be seen. HOWEVER if you do this with that dip stuff and go to peel the design off later on, you might see a razor blade outline in your paint!

I would say make the plastidip graphic as thin as possible application thickness wise to cover evenly. wait forever for it to dry 110%, then pull the tape carefully and off the car parallel against the surface, not 90 degrees to the surface. This will make the masking more or less roll and cut as its removed, instead of yanking off the surface. its hard to explain the technique in text.

Yeah I was thinking about maybe trying it for a layout on a helmet.

get an old window from the basement, mask it off somehow and give it a shot. If the masking doesnt lift the dip off the glass, I would assume its even better on a clean painted surface. Since glass is about the smoothest medium you can get, there is very little mechanical adhesion.