Going car shopping tomorrow. Give me tips.

if you really want a good deal, come on the last day of the month about half an hour before they close, haggle the shit of of them, waste their time. the sales manager will just want to make any deal to meet his sales quota/ go home

[quote=“Jim1234664,post:41,topic:28667"”]

if you really want a good deal, come on the last day of the month about half an hour before they close, haggle the shit of of them, waste their time. the sales manager will just want to make any deal to meet his sales quota/ go home

[/quote]

i did this last week with my mom. it worked. they gave her super low rates and dropped a few g’s off the price and threw in wheels she didn’t want as well as a spoiler she didn’t want…but then she changed her mind as all women do and we’re waiting to see if they can find her a gli in a different color. :bloated:

but we went together me, her and my lil sister to autohaus, northtown lexus and vw. towne as well. but she knows her shit and told the assclown salesman at lexus to cut the shit. oh and if you’re going down the road of a vw, northtown will go lower on the price.

just be firm and even if you don’t know what you’re talking about act like you do. i found most of the salesmen had no idea what they were talking about…and all i did was read up the cars before we went.

[quote=“PsngrSeatsR4Boys,post:42,topic:28667"”]

oh and if you’re going down the road of a vw, northtown will go lower on the price.

[/quote]

You pay for what you get…autohaus will give you much better service…much more friendly atmosphere…and just BETTER people…
And If you are in any financial way ready to mod your car and you want a vw…don’t even go anywhere else… They also have a very nice 2003 Benz 320…awd…very sexyy. it’s upwards of 20 g’s though…

if you go else weres…i can hook you up with a good deal at any west herr dealerships… just tell them you know me (i work at toyota) and they’ll knock some $ off the price.

Don’t be an ass to salespeople… but be firm… If you’re an ass. they will tell you to go else where…because there is 100 more people who want what you want.
Woody can vouch for me…salemen are not desprite…but they want to make a sale…so be firm…tell them waht you want to pay and they will make it work…

[quote=“nitroinsane,post:40,topic:28667"”]

just buy a big brand new truck so u can save money

[/quote]

haha

yeah…a big block 8.1 litre that gets 24mpg on the highway:bloated:

hey where in blasdell do u live? my buddy kinda wants to get rid of his 01 2.5rs w/ 60K (last year of the rs) on it right in your price range…u’d just need to buy the extra warenteeeee… its black on black loaded hawtness lol we need to get him into a nice GTO something with a v8 and moves…
http://a233.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/38/l_27887c327c2afdd28e886efda0ea1a98.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

Repost I think, but always a great read.

[quote=“ultradriver10000,post:45,topic:28667"”]

hey where in blasdell do u live? my buddy kinda wants to get rid of his 01 2.5rs w/ 60K (last year of the rs) on it right in your price range…u’d just need to buy the extra warenteeeee… its black on black loaded hawtness lol we need to get him into a nice GTO something with a v8 and moves…

[/quote]

Oh now that is pure sex.

wait, you can talk down dealers on used cars? this is news to me

[quote=“GhettoDaxx,post:48,topic:28667"”]

[/quote]

You’re joking right?

bring ghettodaxx with u 4 sure

[quote=“ultradriver10000,post:50,topic:28667"”]

bring ghettodaxx with u 4 sure

[/quote]

:word:

check PMs

[quote=“GhettoDaxx,post:48,topic:28667"”]

[/quote]

Huh?

give me info on the black 2.5rs right.

[quote=“sedlmeier101,post:43,topic:28667"”]

You pay for what you get…autohaus will give you much better service…much more friendly atmosphere…and just BETTER people…

[/quote]

my mom loves autohaus, thats why she bought her GLi from them…the people at northtown were assclowns but price wasn’t her main concern it was the service.

car shopping is really overwhelming.

autohaus really had nothing in stock for what i was looking for. west herr subaru dude really didn’t know what the hell he was trying to sell me (since i can’t afford a freakin’ subaru), and west herr jeep lady was fucking awesome and has been calling us when new cars come in.

i went to northtown yesterday and they were super awesome. we went next door to northtown used or whatever, and the dude was a little pushy, but he was willing to try and look for cars for me.

i’ve driven 3 jettas and a passat. i looked at a civic, a golf, and an eclipse. i just want awd damnit! they’re way more expensive than i thought though.

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND A 5 SPEED?!

Because Americans are lazy and don’t want them! :frowning:

That said cars.com is good for doing a search. Sadly the only AWD car I could find under $8k with a manual is an 98 Audi A4 within a reasonable distance. (50 Miles)

If you go out further there are a lot more though.

It’s kind of funny when you ask for a manual transmission. A majority of sales people just go :bloated:, it’s even better when they can’t drive it.

that black RS is hott. but autotragic. There is a white 5 speed on Buffaloscooby right now in your pricerange. GCCoupes are pure sex on wheels. if you can fit in the back seat that is…

5 speed + 2.5RS = winnar.

yah the auto kinda sucks…we were wishing for a wrx transplant but my friend ran outta money as of now so he wants to rid it and buy a gto and throw on a 150 shot…buy the 2.5rs and swap in a 5 speed someday !! plz for me ?

After giving this a little thought:

Don’t spend ~10K on a VW unless it is a TDI. No exceptions. 2.0s are reliable, but get such poor fuel economy considering their power output. 1.8Ts get good fuel economy considering their output, but require extra expensive maintenance such as a very strict oil change regimen or else the head goops up with sludge and makes very bad and expensive things happen. VR6s have their own issues with timing chains and the fact that they usually came in cars that were loaded up with options that can go wrong in the future. They also can be pigs around town.

The TDI makes the most sense. It doesn’t have a pesky ignition system to go wrong. VWs diesels are proven. Travel if you have to for a TDI. Don’t settle on any other VW. I won’t ever again.

As for finding an AWD in your price range, it might be a little challenging. Large dealerships tend to put out cars that will stand up to a fairly tough inspection before they will retail it out to the public. They don’t want the car to come back for warranty work in that 30 or 60 day period. Since an AWD car has many more wear and tear components such as CV joint boots, differential seals, wheel bearings that take on more forces, there are more reasons an older one will flunk their inspection. They also typically hold their value well, especially around here.

Since you are young and going to school, you are probably better off getting something small reliable and good on fuel. Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Altima, Mazda Protege/3. With the money you save, you can go ahead and get some nice snowtires on cheap wheels for the winter months and be more confident in snow than an AWD with half worn all-seasons and still be ahead financially.