racing in Montreal, Canada 3-25-09

i’m not saying i disagree with him, im just saying that from what i’ve learned (very little compared to others on here), its not so much about needing backpressure as it is having an optimal diameter for the most efficient flow away from the motor. i dont know enough to get into a full fledged debate on it, thats just the “cliff notes” i’ve picked up

no just ignorant kids like you who think they know everything will try to start a debate

edit: optimal piping diameter. that diameter relates directly with how much backpressure will be in the system

i can’t tell if you’re serious or not…

how am i ignorant? i said that i don’t know very much on the subject, i was just going on precedence from the other forums i’m on; every time that is brought up there’s a discussion about it. and from what i’ve gathered from the discussions, piping diameter affecting flow is the biggest issue there, not so much backpressure.

i’m all for learning, and if you’ve got something to teach me i’m ready to listen to it, but there’s no need to be a prick about it :wtf

Hmmm the si started to pull the ss

can i call dibs on the “stage 3” cobalt… that poor redline never stood a chance

it has been proven time and time again on LS1tech that long tubes alone create the back pressure NA LSx cars need. Anything after the long tubes, only creates more back pressure…

also, The LM1 is one the freest flowing exhaust…

kind of funny. I found this thread on LS1tech and he has my same mods down to the cam…and they are saying the least amount of back pressure would be best…but hey, they wouldnt know would they??

ooo, found another…

its funny your talking about back pressure and needing it…last time I checked Adam is running open headers and doesnt have a issue…

O shit. I found this stickied on ls1tech about back pressure…

"Header Basics by Loren Barnes, President, S&S Headers, Inc.

You have probably heard words like: back pressure, scavenging, tuned length, merged collector, rotational firing order, compatible combination and many others that meant something, but how they relate to a header may be a little vague. This article should give you a basic understanding of how a header works, what the terminology means, and how it plays a part in the header’s performance gains.

The first misconception that needs to be cleared up is that a header relieves backpressure, but a certain amount of backpressure is needed for optimum performance. Just the opposite is true. A good header not only relieves the backpressure, but goes one step further and creates a vacuum in the system. When the next cylinder’s exhaust valve opens, the vacuum in the system pulls the exhaust out of the cylinder. This is what the term “Scavenging” means."

but he wouldnt know right?

Good races! S4 Moved pretty good ,must say

what did i say, brett? i told ya an argument would ensue

theirs no arguement about it. Maybe in the 4 cylinder world, back pressure makes a difference but in the V8 world, it does not.

Back pressure matters in every world my friend. Whether its 1 cylinder or 16 there has to be back pressure.

read my quotes above.

this was pulled from a sticky on LS1tech created by a Mod.

""Header Basics by Loren Barnes, President, S&S Headers, Inc.

You have probably heard words like: back pressure, scavenging, tuned length, merged collector, rotational firing order, compatible combination and many others that meant something, but how they relate to a header may be a little vague. This article should give you a basic understanding of how a header works, what the terminology means, and how it plays a part in the header’s performance gains.

The first misconception that needs to be cleared up is that a header relieves backpressure, but a certain amount of backpressure is needed for optimum performance. Just the opposite is true. A good header not only relieves the backpressure, but goes one step further and creates a vacuum in the system. When the next cylinder’s exhaust valve opens, the vacuum in the system pulls the exhaust out of the cylinder. This is what the term “Scavenging” means.“”

yes, back pressure does matter but simply just putting on long tube headers per say on my car, takes care of the back pressure. I could run open headers for all I wanted and wouldnt loose any back pressure, but with a muffler like i have now, I Gain back pressure…so Im already adding onto the back pressure that my car already has.

Thats all fine and dandy but there is still resistance also know as back pressure.

correct…but bretts arguement was that my stock muffler isnt restricting my top end because it causes back pressure when in reality, it is because its causing too much back pressure then what my car already needs.

So maybe 5hp? I could take my catback off and get 30hp or so. Is it worth the noise and tickets for the little extra gain? I choose no.

always. do you expect anything different? id love to see him dyno back to back with his “restrictive” exhaust and his other one, id even throw a few bucks at it. just to see how the curve shifts, or doesnt… but 5hp, means everything im sure. like you would feel it.

this is why im getting a electric cutout. On bolt on only LS1’s with stock catback, cutouts have dyno proven to give anywhere from 10-15rwhp gain…now, with a big cam…its going to be more.

of course the difference is above 4000rpms where the exhaust is flowing much more…down low theirs no gains.

my arguement wasnt that it is or isnt restricting, it is that regardless of the exhaust on your car, you werent going to pull the S4… you basically blamed losing the race on the exhaust.

Cut outs are sweet. I just take my catback off for the track but it would be nice to have cutouts. I need two though and that gets expensive.

and electric ones wont fit, so youre still jacking the car up.

Yep. Not worth it on my car. The “AWE” exhaust sounds fantastic anyway :slight_smile: