Fastest Vista Notebook Ever

MacOSX is BSD based anyways…No real need to triple boot…

[quote=“Inn-Tune,post:29,topic:37921"”]

Sure you can build a PC for less. You can also buy an ebay turbo for less, but that’s not for me.

[/quote]

Thats a horrible comparison. I can build a comptuer that will last longer run faster and just out perform any HP, Dell, or Apple. And if i want i can get all faggy and make it look pretty too.

[quote=“RobHimself,post:42,topic:37921"”]

Thats a horrible comparison. I can build a comptuer that will last longer run faster and just out perform any HP, Dell, or Apple. And if i want i can get all faggy and make it look pretty too.

[/quote]

like a black case with clear plexy and blue lights all over it, loaded with dust…

lol

yeah, but then i cant try out all of my new gutsy gibbon tips and tricks on digg!!!

[quote=“Dr.Stevil,post:28,topic:37921"”]

well… the fact that they lock down iTunes the way that they do and force you to use it if you want an iPod/iPhone.

[/quote]

There are programs out there that will allow you to use the ipod without itunes afaik, but you’re missing the point. The value in these products lie in the tight integration, and Apple is moving away from DRM at this point anyway. These products work very well together, which cannot be said for WMP.

Also the whole ringtones thing really pisses me off

[/quote]

At least one solution. I have never really fucked around with ringtones on any phone, so I don’t care all that much.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/

They aren’t publicly releasing a SDK for the phone so 3rd party developers don’t have the ability to create homebrew software for it without writing their own.

[/quote]

Yes, they are. It is in development and will be released. There is a reason apple doesn’t just open everything up to the world of hack developers immediately.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/17/apple-we-plan-to-have-an-iphone-sdk-in-developers-hands-in-fe/

The people that unlocked their phones got screwed by apple when they released their latest firmware which intentionally bricked the phones.

now their going after websites with apple, iphone or any other trademark in the name.

[/quote]

Apple gave more than fair warning that the iPhone would not work after any firmware updates if the phone was hacked. Would you expect your car manufacturer to give a shit if your car doesnt work after you take it in for maintenance and they load a new firmware version onto your “flashed” ecu?

And actually pursuing trademark infringement? Hi, welcome to life!

Although I cannot speak for every business… Most of the software that my team uses ONLY work on OSX, and all of the business applications that the rest of the company uses are mainly web based or cross platform. Most enterprise software is going towards being web based anyway, so it platform will matter less and less going forward.

That being said, I don’t necessarily agree that Apple is ready to be the business platform of choice for most industries, but for any sort of web/media/software company, as well as most POS applications, Apple is a the way to go.

I also don’t think that Apple is really trying to go after the commercial segment yet, the focus is mostly consumer and education at this point, which should be pretty obvious.

[quote=“RobHimself,post:42,topic:37921"”]

[/quote]

No one is debating that the internals of a Mac are superior to your homemade PC. To be honest, apple would never market based on that, because there isn’t much difference.

This was an article by a magazine, remember… not an Ad.

This particular article however, is talking about a notebook, not a desktop. Build me a Notebook period, let alone one that outperforms the one in question for the same price and then we can talk.

I never said that Apple products are for everyone, but you cannot deny that the results of those tests are both surprising and impressive.

It makes me wonder where the speed is coming from, especially seeing as the apple has the smallest case, and the least weight.

I <3 my Macbook.

[

[quote=“Inn-Tune,post:25,topic:37921"”]

Eh it’s always been a better piece of hardware unless you buy an imac etc.

[/quote]

As an Apple Certified Technician for over 10 years, and having fixed everything from your old school Apple Laser II printers to your current Macbooks and iPods, I can say you are full of crap :wink:

Apple hardware is not superior. There marketing and OS features however, are top notch.

The day someone figures out how to run Leapord on equivelant Pc based (Dell, Toshiba, etc) hardware is the day Apple swirls down the toilet.

There is a reason every piece of Apple software tries to take over your computer or throws some roadblock to installing it on a PC when they have the same hardware.

If Apple were really smart, they would allow anyone to use OS X and finally give Microsoft a run for their money. But like Real Player, they are greedy and full of themselves.

[quote=“dozr,post:46,topic:37921"”]

Build me a Notebook period, let alone one that outperforms the one in question for the same price and then we can talk.

[/quote]

I can build you a notebook that costs a third less and will rape current Apple Hardware. Only problem is I can’t run Leapord on it, so I’m stuck with Microsofts slow memory hogging OS.

Are the numbers impressive? Not really. It’s all packaging and OS. Give people unlimited access to the OS and everyone will churn out those numbers. We already know what’s in the package. :shrug:

[quote=“Rx3,post:48,topic:37921"”]

I can build you a notebook that costs a third less and will rape current Apple Hardware. Only problem is I can’t run Leapord on it, so I’m stuck with Microsofts slow memory hogging OS.

Are the numbers impressive? Not really. It’s all packaging and OS. Give people unlimited access to the OS and everyone will churn out those numbers. We already know what’s in the package. :shrug:

[/quote]

Well the article above noted that these machines were running Vista, so what I want to know is why Vista is faster on the Mac than on the PCs.

Opening up OS X to everyone would devalue the Apple brand, I wouldnt hold your breath for it - although going forward they will likely make most of their money from iPods, iPhones and iTunes rather than the Mac Computers, so who knows.

On another note…
Lets not discount packaging as a reason Apple has gotten to where they are. They have some brilliant industrial designers and engineers.

Lets not discount packaging as a reason Apple has gotten to where they are. They have some brilliant industrial designers and engineers.

So does Bose and look at the shit they sell.

[quote=“BuickGN,post:50,topic:37921"”]

So does Bose and look at the shit they sell.

[/quote]

Frankly, I’ve never seen much from Bose that I’ve been impressed with.

[quote=“dozr,post:49,topic:37921"”]

Well the article above noted that these machines were running Vista, so what I want to know is why Vista is faster on the Mac than on the PCs.

[/quote]

Careful planning, that’s how. Like I said, I can build you a notebook that can run Leapord faster than your Mac can. What’s the point?

Who in their right mind is going to buy Apple’s overpriced hardware and run Vista straight on it? Nobody.

You show me those numbers in a real world MAC scenario (i.e. you are running Vista on your emulator/virtual window) like everyone else with a Mac, then I’ll be impressed.

Otherwise :shrug:

yeah i find dual boot pointless. i run windows virtually on more machines then i do natively

[quote=“BuickGN,post:22,topic:37921"”]

apple used to be faster actually when they used the powerpc cpu

[/quote]

I like the PPC better than the new intels… And yes, they ran better…

But my macbook pro is decently quick for a laptop, but not fast enough…

[quote=“dozr,post:51,topic:37921"”]

Frankly, I’ve never seen much from Bose that I’ve been impressed with.

[/quote]

Word, apple packaging kills bose HARDCORE…

my next computer will be a mac.

[quote=“ZOMGVTEK,post:54,topic:37921"”]

I like the PPC better than the new intels… And yes, they ran better…

But my macbook pro is decently quick for a laptop, but not fast enough…

[/quote]

RISC > CISC any day of the week

[quote=“dozr,post:45,topic:37921"”]

Most of the software that my team uses ONLY work on OSX,

[/quote]

What software is that?

still in web design thomas?

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:57,topic:37921"”]

RISC > CISC any day of the week

[/quote]

With OoOE, pipelining, etc, the term “RISC” and “CISC” are no longer relevant. The C2D and the X2 are more RISC like than CISC.